Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 looking for new upland dog >

looking for new upland dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

looking for new upland dog

Old 10-24-2005, 12:02 AM

Default RE: looking for new upland dog

I mostly mess with the german versatiles and retrievers.

Sounds like you a proponent of the Bill West method????

It is a good method. I am going to be sending a pup to Maurice this winter.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Typical Buck

I spend 10 - 30 minutes a day training my setter or until she gets it right. I often call her during playing times as sometimes she'll exploring out of sight. So, no I don't think that's a problem. Perhaps it's not breaking the time up into less time spent more sessions?

As to my method, here is what I do. I heel her for about 20-30 feet then woah her with the whistle. Then walk back, forwards, around her to make sure she stays put. Then I call her to me using the whistle. I heel her and repeat the process. We usually do this several times until we reach the car after play. Should I use the collar (lowest stimulation level) when I call her to me? How often should I use the collar? Everytime initially?

I will try breaking up the training session into multiple short ones. Before she begins playing, during playtime, and after playtime. I will see how it goes.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:45 AM

Maurice is who taught me, hands on i lived with Maurice for about 6mo.in Piedmont sc, I will be goin to Maurices in approx a week or so to pick up 2 bitches to send to a client of mine next to portland, oregon. Are you Maurices yahoo group also?? All I am trying to do is help the guy get started, you have to assume who ever you talk to is an am. If not when, something goes wrong, because he or she did not do it right or done it to fast, who's gonna be the bad guy?? Yes, he could send the dog to me, or Muarice,andwe will have it standing in 5 min. I don't think thats what the guy is after. So yes, we can cut some corners, but for some one who's experience is slim, or sounds to be slim, why put the cart before the horse so fast. I will cover my butt, and go on.I xplained where, and how to start his pup. The other member isn't even sure what kinda dog he wants?? All you guys said is this breed is great , and I like this breed, so as a guessing game you guys are all dog trainers, why don't you give things to help the guy out?? Jonesy
Old 10-24-2005, 06:13 PM

Jonsey,

No, I am not a member of Maurice's yahoo group, I have just followed him for years on uplandbirddog.com and trained a GSP according to the west method six years ago (man does time fly). I would be interested in joining the group, and maybe even contacting you, as communication wtih Maurice is limited to email. Could you PM me the information?

As for the rest, I think you misread my post. I directed my post to underdog who claims that if you traina dog with an e-collar, you can never trust them without one.

I am no pro, but have managed to tinker with about ten dogs over the last five or so years. I managed to put a SH on a retriever and got a few passes with a GSP at SH, but never finished his title.

I plan on testing my new pup with the VDD.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:56 PM

Here's another e-mail address, [email protected] we can also talk, i'll give you whatever info you need. Cool?? I've delt with Maurice for whew, 10-15 years. Seemsour timejust keeps getting better and better. We've been through lot together. My self as an honest hand with a dog, either or any breed of sport dog, I myself with this style of socialization to client or personal dog have not had a problem with or without collar. I feel its all in the work that you've done with the dog. I've helped alot of horseback trialers get thier dogs on the right track, Idone lots of gun dogs, I had a gentlemans chessie, 2yr old bitch, nothing done to her, just hunted, Ihad her for 3 mo. 5 test 5 passes. And she had an awful collar problem, it was at their house with electric yard fence, fried her twice bad, owners finally got it shut off!! So you could nick below one, she'd ball up. It was bad, but she had a head of sense, and me and her worked through all of it, just limited collar. OBED., line steady, ff, whistles, remote sits.I am not much on that breed but if I had chance for pup out of her, i'd snatch it up!! Where you from?? I'm in Kentucky?? I'm sure you'll agree throwing in here command during session is a big plus. Just like a dog that retrieves, everyone is so excited about it they want to get the bird from the dog, instead of allowing the carry. Before you know it dog does not want to come in cause dad always takes it, and the came of keep away starts, I don't understand sometimes. Force fetching is not an exciting part of dog training, I'll do it but so many times if owners would have thought for a second problem would not be there. I don't know I just try and keep all the people happy.I just enjoy the dogs, exspecially the pups!! Later Jonesy
Old 10-25-2005, 12:33 AM
Typical Buck

Jonesy

Please don't get me wrong. I appreciate your advice. I just wanted to let you know that my pup is already somewhat steady on woah, heel, come. I just wanted to know how to incorporate it inher/my trainning. I haven't used a collar at all excepting a bark collar at low levels. Never did even with my other dog. I don't own a remote collar system.

The reason why I'm asking is because I live in a busy urban area. It is essential that she listens immediately or get hit by a car as she will run in the road into traffic.

Thank you for advice on the trainning before playtime as I incorporated that. The other question is when/if I do get a collar, how often do I 'zap' her? Everytime?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:03 AM

This is how I teach it, when you have taught the command and the dog understands the command, what I do is command,see if dog responds, no response, or just farting around, command-nick low setting-command. always repeat your command after nick it puts it together indogs mind. I thinkin your case with the city, I would do it with check cord also to start out. Don't use long cord 10 ft. max. You figure out how you want to have dog come to ya,most of the dogs I've done have been done with name-here. Put your cord in right hand, remoteinleft, when I teach here I use a stronger tug, so now it will be command-tugnick-command. Pet on it send on, walk around for little bit, repeat. You'll see after 7-10 times dog will start coming in with no tug, and posibly no collar, it is learning that nothing happens if I do this. And there will be times of "screw you" So collars on, repeat command-nick-command. So you gave dog chance, it thought it was ahead of you, you made the correction. I have put collar on early in the morn. worked dog in afetrnoon, turned it while I was petting it, dog didnot relize it was there. Excellent correction made. You got to give dog time to learn!! Patience is a virtue. If you don't have a collar there is place called collar clinic, its about the cheapest to get collar, or have one worked on. What they do is use the old casings of the transmitter, and reciever, shell out put in all new guts. Excellent price. My self if its that busy where your at, I would be careful about the area ans not let her off the cord, she'll use the bathroom. Use the shorter cord that way if she's running circles you can feed rope around you not get tied up!! Jonesy
Old 10-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have a GSP and also a English Setter and they both work very well for me on pheasants and grouse.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:38 PM

I've got a buddy in route as we speak to south dakota, taking some pointers and retrievers. I have a buddy thats got some brit and vizslas pupson the ground but to young. Then my buddy thats in route will have some retrievers coming out around xmas. I know lot of people with dogs for sale. It is what the people want or are looking for. I have alot of friends all over that are into dogs. I have a lady thats a good hand in mott North Dakota, not for sure whats for sale, but she's a good hand at breaking. Jonesy
Old 10-31-2005, 11:19 AM

100% brittany i have one and had it trained by a brit breeder 3mth the dog holds wing & shot honors other dogs point and is great with kids its a smaller dog tha a lab and is a little hyper but gentel with kids and easy to train the gsp are good to but harder to train at least i was told that by 4 different pro dog trainers the reason they got so popular was the akc pushed them for a couple of years well do your research and try looking in a upland bird book they will give you some info

Good luck