Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 looking for new upland dog >

looking for new upland dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

looking for new upland dog

Old 09-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Default looking for new upland dog

I am looking for suggestions for a new dog. I have a 3 year old pointing lab and a 13 year old lab. I have always had 2 dogs for hunting. My 13 year old lab wont be able to hunt to much more..arthritis in hips. I will need to start thinking about a new dog in the next 12 to 24 months. I have always had labs...although this is my first pointing lab. My little pointing lab is doing great. For my next dog I am interested in a flusher or pointer. The breed needs to be good with kids and others. Not need to be exercised every day( No breeds that are hyper please)...as thats not possible with my work schedule. Intelligent and trainable. Loyal and a good family dog that isnt a big barker..I live in city. Dog will be outside in kennel when weather permints and inside otherwise. Things like a non hair shedder would be a plus. Just want a really good hunter. I have given up duck and deer hunting all i hunt now is pheasants and quail. Please feel free to make suggestions and recommend breeders/trainers.

Also, is it any better to purchase a trained 2 to 3 yr old dog for $2000.00 to $3000.00 from a good trainer as opposed to getting a puppy and spending that much over a couple of years to have it trained. I know that my current pointing lab is 3 ...I have about $3200.00 (including the cost of the pup) into this dog now. Can a dog that is 2 to 3 years old still bond with an owner that just bought them???
thanks for any help you have to offer.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 07:58 PM

Default RE: looking for new upland dog

I would suggest a Vizsla. They are a versatile breed. I will be getting my pup in October. My wife and I chose the Vizsla because it has a good nose and is a good family pet.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 PM

I would suggest GSP's. Alot of folks in my bird dog club own them including me, and most of them seem to have some brains. Shedding is not to bad. This breed can be prone to Hyperactivity. And really, it will be hard to find a hunting breed that is not. Every short haired breed I have run across has been prone for hyperactivity. Weims, vizlas ect. I find that by at least giving my dog one good workout a week will usually keep her somewhat sane. She actually hunts and listens better if you take her out more often though.

If I had to do it all over again, I would by a trained dog. The time, effort and frustration isnt worht it to me anymore. I trained my pointer along with some proffesional help. Shes not really that good still. So You never really know if the pup is gonna have it or not. When you go to see the already trained dog work, you will know if you are spending your money wisely.

As far as bonding, most people dont seem to notice any difference. Dogs are still pack animals and will bond with whatever "pack" they are with. I am currently fostering a rescue dog, and this thing after a couple days has made me its best freind.

Good luck! And have fun with it
Old 09-29-2005, 02:38 PM

No such dog exists....at least none that are worth feeding.

ALL dogs shed, some lighter than others, but the idea of a non-shedder is pure bull. I am surprised at this request though, labs tend to be bad shedders and blow out their coats.

Almost any hunting dog is going to require daily exercise. It may not come from you, if you have two dogs they may self-exercise, but if you think you can just leave a dog in the kennel and then pull him out now and then, you will havemost likely have a barker, a chewer, and a digger.

Vizslas have HUGE energy requirements for the most part. Some gsp's do as well, but it depends on the line.

A few dogs come to mind, but they are rare. A Bracco Italaino perhaps a Spinone will fit your needs, even a griffon. However, be aware that these dogs are not going to rip up a pasture to find and point birds. They are more plodders. For flushers, you might look to a Clumber Spaniel aka the "old man's dog" cause it does not move too fast either.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

For upland hunting, you will generally want a dog that's able to run. Whether its aflusher or pointer type, any kind of running dog will require daily exercise or they will develop bad habits as AlaskaMagnum said.

Another thing to consider, if you want to encourage your young dog to point then I definitely would not go with a flushing breed unless you have the patience to teach the dog to honor pointbut then you defeat the purpose ofgetting a flusher.If you do get a flusher,the dog will flush birds that the pointer is pointing. Soon, your pointer will want to get the bird first and start flushing it himself. That is the problem I'm having to deal with a young setter pup. First encounter with birds and I brought a flusher along. I have to now break her of pouncing. But she's young and will be fine.

I would like to stress the need for exercise. I have hunted over dogs that did not get daily exercise. I have yet to see one dog able to run more than half a day if even that. I run my pup aleast one hour a day. At only six months, last Monday, she ran for five hours, Weds - six hours. And she's still wants to run. You definitely can tell who exercise their dogs as by noon, only a few of us were still hunting.

My suggestion would be to get another pointing lab since you already know the breed or spend the time you do have to reinforce the training of your current dog and forego getting another.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:22 AM

All of these are excellent suggestions and would agree with them all. Most of us look for dogs with lineage that has high prey drive which equates to "hyperactivity". I'm patial to the Lab and the Brittany, but that is just my opinion. Be very careful with breeding of Labs and research the lineage carefully. Griffons and Chessies are another option.

Around here I have heard of a few people who have been buying crossbreads and having good success. The most popular are the Labradoodle (Labrador Retriever and Standard Poodle) and the Retrieverdoodle (Golden Retriever and Standard Poodle). The crossbreeding with the standard poodle helps tremendously with the shedding. I've also heard that the intelligence of the poodle improves the trainability of the dog. Some may frown on this crossbreeding, but for some I believe it is a valid alternative. There are obvious down sides as well. The prey drive isn't as sharp and the nose looses some of its intensity.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:33 AM

most of my friends just use my dogs so they dont have to do all the work we trade off i have english setters they pay i bring the dogs or we trade like ill use one fellas treestand and he gets to shoot over my dogs
Old 10-18-2005, 02:30 AM
Typical Buck

Obviously, I run GSP's. The non-shedding issue...(and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong), but the flushers that I know of are typically long haired = shedding and the GSP's and other upland shorthaired dogs..well they shed as well. You're fighting a losing battle with that request. As far as a family pet, labs are good, GSP's are good, I'm sure a springer spaniel is good, etc. It mostly comes down to how much you associate your new pet to the family and other dogs which will bring the "lover" out in the dog. As far as hyperactivity goes, any true upland will always want to get out and run. Take for example, the GSP in my avatar. He used to love to run and be trained and while in the house liked to get into trouble and never sit still and always running around in our yard (when we lived in town). The other GSP I have is basically a lap dog and would love to sit on the couch all day long but he still loves to get out and run 1-2 times a day...probably more since we've moved to the country. Bottom line is, an upland dog NEEDS to be run on a daily basis, not only b/c they want to but also to keep them conditioned....that is, if you want a hard charger that won't walk behind you 20 minutes into a hunt. Hopefully this helps a bit and doesn't sound too harsh. PM me if you have more questions!!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:14 PM

Many breeds will work. I run two GSPs and I love them in the open country of MT and ND. I've got kids and they're great. THE BIGGEST THING that you need to consider is breeding, breeding, breeding...what mommie and daddy dog are is probably what pup will inherit. Spend your TIME looking at lots of different dogs and don't be impulsive!

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2005, 08:00 AM

If someone knows that I am wrong correct me. I thought the German Wirehaired Pointer and Pudlepointers have a coat that doesn't shed. I know there are non-hunting breeds that don't shed....the Pudle was already brought up....which for anyone that may not know the Pudle was developed as a hunting dog. I know Yorkshireterriers *spelling and some other toy breeds don't shed....I am pretty sure none of these would be a suitable choice!!! LOL Where is Versidog? He could tell us if DD's shed.

Quick Reply: looking for new upland dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.