Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trapper,
I didn't include 75D or 75C at all because I knew that only a small portion of those zones were in Grant. If you don't want to include 73E either, then disregardthose 5,000 or so deer,which would also account for any extra harvested in the the cwd area. We are still about 2000 more deer harvested in aproximately the same land area, apples for apples,and it wasn't just for 2007, it was for every year leading up to that.Wisconsin is probably the best state in the nation for raising deer, and record books, and harvest recordspretty much prove it.
I also doubt that all ofIowa hunters are happy this year as their harvest dropped to 117,000 total, from a high two years ago of 188,000. So perhaps some of the thingsour DNRsaid about low harvest numbersregarding the weather, hunting effort, hunting styles is true, as just across the stream, they also are having a down year. SomeIowa hunters are probably happy because their overall deer population is still slowly rising, while ours has stabilized or dropped slightly. They only have 250K hunters statewide, that's a drop in the bucket to our 840,000,so there is much lesshunting pressure overall, so it is easier forsaid hunters to see deer. Heckeven private land is stillfairly easy to access there. So overall fewer things to complain about.
So if you want it to be like Iowa lets do these things:
1. Limit to 250,000 licenses (or there abouts)
2. go shotgun only
3. Have an application and drawing for non-residents.
You seem like an intelligent guy, and I agree with your 1-2 deer per season. That's my personal max as well. I just can't use any more than that. But can you imagine what the guys on this forum and in this state would do if we tried to incorporate any one of the three items listed above? You think they are mad hunters now??

Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Spike

Iowa has done spot testing for CWD but as far as I've heard no positive results have come back. I hope they wouldn't try to cure it the bang up way WI has which has been a series of missteps. There is no cure for it anyway.As far as eradicating them, no they actually are wondering if they need the extra antlerless seasons because the kill was down some for the regular shotgun seasons.

Now the states out west that have CWD as far as I know have never tried to completely decimate the deer herd. It's an impossible task anyway. Unfortunately the WI DNR didn't understand that. It's common sense that you can't kill every deer as people out of the cities or other non hunters own some of the land and won't let anyone in there. You may kill the deer on one farm but what about the ones on the land next doorthat doesn't get hunted.That is so easy to understand but it's out of the DNRs grasp. I never once read or heard anywhere that Colorado was trying to kill every deer in the state to stop CWD. They've had it what since the 60's?

The CWD is in the soil if I'm not mistaken so unless the DNR starts running around with dozers and excavators and stripping the ground it's going to be here. I probably shouldn't say that as the boneheads willdecide that's the new plan of attack.

I thinkCWD has been here forever and will be here forever. It doesn't faze me and I'll continue to eat the deer I harvest unless it appears to be sick. That goes back to the common sense issue. A lot of people that spend time in the woods have seen or taken deer that appeared sickly and I doubt if they've been dumb enough to eat it. If it appears sickly or infected don't consume it period. I like venison loin chops aswell as anyone but I wouldn't take the chance on a knowingly sick deer.

I like most other hunters want the deer herd numbers back up where they should be. It appearsthe CWD and EABfiascois just an excuse to please the auto insurance companies. I still saw more deer in themid80's to the early90's than I see now.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Spike

Non resident application I could do as well as shotgun only if it increases the deer herd. As far as the 250,000 licenses that might be a little more difficult obviously. People want to hunt but if you limit them in how many can hunt or go once every 3 years that's a little tougher. A lot of people would lose interest myself included. You also have to rememberWisconsin has a lot more deer area as far as woods than Iowa. It's interesting you bring up 840,000 licenses sold.What's the DNRs goal for the herd 1 million? So the average hunter can expect to see about 1 deer per year in the near future and if they shoot that one then the population is quicklydone for!!! I guess that's one way to eliminate hunting and huntersthat the liberal democratsin Madison don't like.

I know that area over there doesn't have as many hunters as we do in my counties but they also have a muchbetter chance of tagging a deer as they have more deer per hunter than we do. However the DNR over there is not trying to kill off an entire herd like the WI DNR is. That is my argument I still say that Clayton and Allamakee counties have more deer than Crawford and my area of Grant in WI. I can make the same walks and drives in the 2 areas and will see far more deer in Iowa than WI.

If a non resident tag wasn't so expensive in Iowa I would go over there in a heartbeat. I've spent time in both areas and know which one is better.I wish this house I'm in right now was in Iowa. The WI DNR has messed up the hunting that bad in my area. It's one of my few hobbies and one that I enjoy doing but going out and not seeing anything or only a few deer a year weighs on a person. I quickly see one of the things I've done all my lifedying off do to mismanagement.

Handles we will never agree on this issue but in this area in talking to several hunters most agree with me. The deer population is not what the DNR says it is.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I see this thread going no where anymore. I know what I believe. IMO it boils down to poor deer herd management of the DNR. Because of this there are very low numbers of deer in certain areas. Granted some hunters were greedy and shot more doe then they needed. I guess human nature is human nature. But there were a lot of us when FORCED to shoot a doe first, did so, but then hunted only for a monster buck because we had our venison for the year.

I think the choice is simple. If your happy in the way the DNR has wiped out the deer herd, keep buying a license. Support their failing policies. If not happy, don't buy a license for two or three years. Let the herd catch their breath and come back a little. Also, as a landowner (which I am) stop all hunting on your property or crossing of your property for those that want to hunt through it. For instance unless your a good swimmer or like to walk through a swamp,to get to good ground in the National, you need to cross my land, or take a long walk.... Well guess what??? Basically lock upthe DNR's pocket book until it hurts. Then and only then will they get the message. Then and only then, can we take back the herd. If other programs have to suffer, so be it.

The DNR and their supporters will always be those that refuse to accept responsibility for the poor management of the herd and blame anything or anyone they can. Its to be expected. No one likes to admit they screwed up. After all people might stop buying a license and stop their paycheck. Well that's exactly what we need to do. Shut down their funding, and in the hard times our country is experiencing, the DNR will be forced to shut down programs instead of look for other places for funding.

Lets hope also this hard winter and deep snow in the north will not wipe out the herd in places. The deer are yarding according to loggers. And with decreased numbers the more that die, will be that much harder on the herd. Also I am sure the timber wolves will move in and help themselves to the yard deer. But I am sure the DNR has all this taken into consideration. And the insurance companies will rejoice...
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Trapper I have heard that in texas they really have a problem with CWD and the ranchers down there go out and look for the dead deer. When they find them they burn the remains so the healthy deer don't come in contact with them. I have not heard if they are overly concerned other than what you said to make sure the deer looks healthy and use caution when butchering them. I know alot of guys go down there to hunt because they have some nice bucks and the weather is nice after our season is over. We in the midwest have some of the nicest deer in the states. I think that is why every one is so upset to see what has been a trend, our deer numbers going down. That disease has more or less been with us since the beginning of time. It is very similar to mad-cow disease in signs and symtoms. Niether disease has been connected to a transfer to humans. The DNR totally over reacted on CWD. I have a friend that lives in northeast Iowa and he has tagged two very large bucks, near(Waukon) I don't know if the spelling is correct.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Some states reported an out break of blue tongue.. Where the deer crave water. Lets hope that does not find its way here..
Old 12-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

I thought you were kidding- I looked it up and it said it affects deer in sub-tropical states.
Nasty stuff it looks like!
We shouldn't have to worry about that here just the DNR.

Do you attend the meetings in the spring? I think there will be a lot of angry deer hunters there!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Spike

Mr.mc54 I have never hunted in Iowa, the non resident license is too high. I have walked around some farms inthe area over there and driven around in the evenings with a freind that I work with. That'swhy I've seen the deer and deer sign in that area. I could have land to hunt on over there pretty easily as I do know some landowners but I can't afford the N/R tag.It's funny you mention Waukon that's where my wife is from. My inlaws are there.

My brother in laws freind was a holder of the state record bow kill a few years ago, he got knocked out by someone else though. Deer scoring 160 to 200 are not uncommon around there. Allamakee ranks as the number 1 county in the state for record book deer and Clayton is in 3rd I think. I read that article in Iowa Fish and Game.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 PM
TJD
Fork Horn

Well I see this thread going no where anymore. I know what I believe. IMO it boils down to poor deer herd management of the DNR. Because of this there are very low numbers of deer in certain areas. Granted some hunters were greedy and shot more doe then they needed. I guess human nature is human nature. But there were a lot of us when FORCED to shoot a doe first, did so, but then hunted only for a monster buck because we had our venison for the year.
Couldn't have said it better. Well done!

And just to reiteratesome points I made several pages back:
[ul][*]If there really is an overpopulation issue in the Wisconsin deer herd, the DNR helped create it. Making hunters apply for hunters choice, apply for doe tags, then go to the late 90's and hand out two antlerless tags per hunter per day (Handles...you were talking about some hunters who shoot multiple deer and that being a problem??? Look what state agency made it possible!).[*]No, deer management is not easy, but that is not an excuse to give the DNR a pass on missing by two or three standard deviations what the deer population of the state is. Hunters and landowners have been saying for several years now that there were not the deer the DNR insisted there were. Each year, we were basically told to not believe our own eyes.[*]The DNR needs to find a way to work with hunters and landowners. A bunch of number crunchers sitting in nice, air conditioned, taxpayer-funded offices in Madison should not have sole authority to determine wildlife management policy. WE PAY THEM!! THEY WORK FOR US!![/ul]
And now to change the subject ever so slightly...WHAT THE HECK HAS HAPPENED TO THE PACKERS??? (And no, I do not blame the DNR for that! )
Old 12-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

Da packers done took a dive!

It must be Favre's fault!

He put the southern hex on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: wisconsin DNR CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.