Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 AM
  #171  
Fork Horn
 
shooter50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 195
Default

I was hoping the Sunday hunting thing wasn't going to come back up. I am a proud VA hunter which happens to believe Sunday's should remain a day of peace = No Hunting On Sundays. I am no Bible thumper, but I know the bible says Sunday is a day of peace/rest. I believe in GOD and everything in the Bible. Hunting should not be allowed in VA on Sundays because it is work. Anybody that says hunting isn't work is lying thru their teeth. If it's not than your not hunting....your a wanna be......or some spoiled person who has prime property where you do more "killing" than you do "hunting". And personally killing on a Sunday seems appauling to me.
shooter50 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 AM
  #172  
Nontypical Buck
 
VAhuntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 3,116
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Burns View Post
Yeah, a bear hunter can chase bears on Sunday during pursuit season, without a gun. You can go sit in a tree stand all day on sunday without a gun. It is illeagle to kill any animal on Sunday because it is a religious day that is observed by the MAJORITY of the registered voters in Virginia. Not because that is the way hound hunters want it. Beleive me hound hunters would love to be able to run and shoot game on sunday just like everyone else. I understand why you are upset, it is a B.S. law but it is a law that has been arround for so long because the people of Virginia wont vote it out, because it is the bible belt and it is a religious thing. It was put to a vote and that is how this law came to be. There are way more non-hound hunters than hound hunters in Virginia, so how can you possibly hold the hound hunters responsible for that law. What, the hound hunters vote over rides everyone elses vote? Right, give it a break all ready! Hound hunters can retreive there hounds on sunday, you can retrive wounded game on sunday. So where is the advantage for hound hunters, you both can have a legetiment reason for being in the woods on sunday. Whining about it will never get it changed, get hunters organized get it back on the ballot and do something about it.

You obviously do not understand how laws are made. Sunday hunting has never been on a ballot in VA for voters to vote on. It has always been killed in the General Assembly. The Game Dept has conducted studies which state the majority of hunters want to be able to hunt on Sunday and the Game Dept supports hunting on Sunday as well.

Last year the leadership of the VHDA sided with the HSUS and other anti-hunting groups and had the Sunday hunting bill killed again. If you would have taken the time, you could have read the link I posted several threads back that explained how the leadership of the VAHDA sided with the anti hunters.

Once again, if you are hunting on a licensed shooting preserve, you can hunt on Sunday in VA....it says so in the regulations.
VAhuntr is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 AM
  #173  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,661
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Burns View Post
Yeah, a bear hunter can chase bears on Sunday during pursuit season, without a gun. You can go sit in a tree stand all day on sunday without a gun. It is illeagle to kill any animal on Sunday because it is a religious day that is observed by the MAJORITY of the registered voters in Virginia. Not because that is the way hound hunters want it. Beleive me hound hunters would love to be able to run and shoot game on sunday just like everyone else. I understand why you are upset, it is a B.S. law but it is a law that has been arround for so long because the people of Virginia wont vote it out, because it is the bible belt and it is a religious thing. It was put to a vote and that is how this law came to be. There are way more non-hound hunters than hound hunters in Virginia, so how can you possibly hold the hound hunters responsible for that law. What, the hound hunters vote over rides everyone elses vote? Right, give it a break all ready! Hound hunters can retreive there hounds on sunday,
you can retrive wounded game on sunday. So where is the advantage for hound hunters, you both can have a legetiment reason for being in the woods on sunday. Whining about it will never get it changed, get hunters organized get it back on the ballot and do something about it.
You say dog hunters WANT to hunt on Sundays....and it's been posted that the VAHDA OPPOSE Sunday Hunting......
You need to get your story straight......
brewman555 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 AM
  #174  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 157
Default

Originally Posted by brewman555 View Post
You say dog hunters WANT to hunt on Sundays....and it's been posted that the VAHDA OPPOSE Sunday Hunting......
You need to get your story straight......
Obviously there are cases on both sides, both dog hunters and non dog hunters that would like to hunt on sunday, but the Majority of the VAHDA do not want to hunt on sunday, the majority rules that is why they sided on not to hunt sundays. A hound association is just like a Union, it is a organized voice for the members, and as a organization they have to put there vote where the majority of the members decide is right. Obviously some would like to hunt on sunday, just as you do but there are more people that dont. Like Shooter50, it is his religious belief that people should not hunt on sunday, and he is not a hound hunter. There are ALOT of people in the state of Virginia that shares his beliefs, and beleive it or not hunters are the minority. I dont think its riht that a hunt club can have a exception to the law but if that is the case, look into making your property a "hunt club" you dont have to let everyone become a member. I am sure there are loop holes, if hunting clubs are getting away with it look at how they are doing it.

Good luck.
Jim Burns is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM
  #175  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 157
Default

Originally Posted by VAhuntr View Post
You obviously do not understand how laws are made. Sunday hunting has never been on a ballot in VA for voters to vote on. It has always been killed in the General Assembly. The Game Dept has conducted studies which state the majority of hunters want to be able to hunt on Sunday and the Game Dept supports hunting on Sunday as well.

Last year the leadership of the VHDA sided with the HSUS and other anti-hunting groups and had the Sunday hunting bill killed again. If you would have taken the time, you could have read the link I posted several threads back that explained how the leadership of the VAHDA sided with the anti hunters.

Once again, if you are hunting on a licensed shooting preserve, you can hunt on Sunday in VA....it says so in the regulations.
You can have anything placed on the ballot if you get a petition with enough signatures.

I also think if someone had enough money to hire a lawyer and have the case brought up in Federal court it would be abolished, on the fact that religion and state are supposed to be seperated.

Last edited by Jim Burns; 12-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Jim Burns is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
  #176  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 228
Default

The one thing I keep reading in this thread is how dog hunters don't want Sunday hunting because the VDHA opposes it. I'm not sure what makes you all think that all of the dog hunters in VA or even the majority of them support the VDHA.

I hunt both with dogs and out of a stand, and I know quite a few dog hunters, yet I don't know a single one that is a VDHA member or supports them in any way. The large majority of dog hunters I know, including myself are in favor of Sunday hunting for everyone.

That said, I've been surprised how many people I've talked to including stand hunters and land owners that while they no longer hunt, allow us to use their land for free that strongly oppose Sunday hunting. Most of them have reasons that I see flaws with, but they still oppose it, and I'm certainly not going to be able to change their mind. It's not a bill that every hunter in VA wants passed like you would think from reading this thread.

Now that being said, I'd like to see it passed just as much as the rest of you all, and I know most guys in my group that I hunt with would also love to see it passed.
slowr1der is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM
  #177  
Nontypical Buck
 
gjersy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 1,089
Default

Wrong Jim Burns. In Wisconsin, since 1995, landowners do not have to post land, people need to have written or verbal permission, to enter WI private property. Know where your hunting.
gjersy is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 04:53 PM
  #178  
Nontypical Buck
 
VAhuntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 3,116
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Burns View Post
You can have anything placed on the ballot if you get a petition with enough signatures.

I also think if someone had enough money to hire a lawyer and have the case brought up in Federal court it would be abolished, on the fact that religion and state are supposed to be seperated.
I actually think you could be right about suing in Federal Court. If it was anything other than hunting, the ACLU would be all over this issue.

However, you are wrong on the ballot issue. Hunting on Sunday is defined illegal by the Code of Virginia, so it takes an act by the General Assembly to change this law.
VAhuntr is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 AM
  #179  
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 61
Default

Originally Posted by shooter50 View Post
I was hoping the Sunday hunting thing wasn't going to come back up. I am a proud VA hunter which happens to believe Sunday's should remain a day of peace = No Hunting On Sundays. I am no Bible thumper, but I know the bible says Sunday is a day of peace/rest. I believe in GOD and everything in the Bible. Hunting should not be allowed in VA on Sundays because it is work. Anybody that says hunting isn't work is lying thru their teeth. If it's not than your not hunting....your a wanna be......or some spoiled person who has prime property where you do more "killing" than you do "hunting". And personally killing on a Sunday seems appauling to me.

This comment is so idiotic it doesn't deserve a reply. But I just can't resist.

I assume you come home from a four-hour church session and sit on the couch the rest of the day and do nothing, correct? Anything else would violate your idea of rest. By your standard, God would be angry if you went shopping or changed the oil in your truck or went to a football game or maybe even out to dinner. Of course, by your standard, none of those activities would be allowed because that would require you or others to work when all businesses should instead be closed on Sunday, right?

I assume you are opposed to target shooting on Sundays because that violates your idea of "peace."

How about you stay home on Sunday if you choose not to hunt and let me decide to do what I want on my land? Walking into my woodlot and climbing into a treestand isn't work. Neither is following my dog through the mountains. Don't tell me or anyone else we aren't doing it right. You sound like a complete idiot when you say that.

Me hunting on my land on Sunday doesn't affect you or anyone else. 43 other states allow Sunday hunting. The world continues to spin, hikers and birdwatchers aren't being gunned down and everyone goes about their business.
fishguts is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 AM
  #180  
Fork Horn
 
shooter50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 195
Default

Originally Posted by fishguts View Post
This comment is so idiotic it doesn't deserve a reply. But I just can't resist.

I assume you come home from a four-hour church session and sit on the couch the rest of the day and do nothing, correct? Anything else would violate your idea of rest. By your standard, God would be angry if you went shopping or changed the oil in your truck or went to a football game or maybe even out to dinner. Of course, by your standard, none of those activities would be allowed because that would require you or others to work when all businesses should instead be closed on Sunday, right?

I assume you are opposed to target shooting on Sundays because that violates your idea of "peace."

How about you stay home on Sunday if you choose not to hunt and let me decide to do what I want on my land? Walking into my woodlot and climbing into a treestand isn't work. Neither is following my dog through the mountains. Don't tell me or anyone else we aren't doing it right. You sound like a complete idiot when you say that.

Me hunting on my land on Sunday doesn't affect you or anyone else. 43 other states allow Sunday hunting. The world continues to spin, hikers and birdwatchers aren't being gunned down and everyone goes about their business.

I would love to meet you in person because I would show you that I am a sinner just like everybody because I would mop my kitchen floor with your head on a Sunday! Sunday "the Sabbath" is a day of rest. Says it in the bible. Now if you are a farmer and you have a mule fall in a hole and get stuck should you leave him there??? No you go and get him out. I HAVE to work 2 Sundays a month to support my family. Do I want to work on Sunday??? Absolutely not! But I have to. There are certain things you have to do on a Sunday and hunting is not one of them. And come on going to the rifle range on Sunday, going to the grocery store, watching a ball game, going out to dinner, none of those are work. Now hunting and killing an animal on Sunday just dosen't feel right to me. I don't care if Va passes the law for Sunday hunting tomorrow so you can follow your dog Sunday thru the woods and let him hunt for you thats your choice. But I have morals and I believe whatever animal you are pursuing deserves one day a week of peace so you and your mutt can leave them alone. But go hunting kill a deer leave a big gut pile in the woods, drive home with blood running off your tail gate on a Sunday if that suits you. Its not for me. And your right I am a Christian and I haven't been to church in years. But I have a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and I just feel that it would be a disgrace to kill one of his creatures on a Sunday. I have Monday thru Saturday for that. I think most of you need Sunday to hunt because you can't kill them through the rest of the week and you need an extra day! I will teach you how to hunt if you wish......will charge by the hour......send pm's for my available schedule and rates lol!

Oh and by the way fishnuts I will teach you for free! I will say a prayer for you today....you need it. Now I have to go calm down and ask for forgiveness because I know I said some things here I shouldn't have but when you start bashing christians and my religious beliefs I get red! I just give MY opinion I have that right, just the same as you have the right to yours. No one is right or wrong with their OWN opinion.
shooter50 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.