Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks smoking gun. I'll send you a PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
how far are you from west of the blue ridge? if you could hunt there I could show you some awesome deer hunting on public land no dogs and very few people (saw 3 in 14 seasons)
just a thought
RR
Where might this be? You can send a pm if you prefer.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default West of the Blue Ridge

Sounds like Page County....Luray? Massanutten Mountain?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Where is all this "Yankee" talk coming from, I thought deer hunting with dogs was a southern thing?

I've never shot a dog running deer, seen only about 6 or so in 26 seasons, but my buddy shot 2 I let go by me and who knows how many more. In WV, the authorities wouldn't give half a sh*t if you killed a dog running deer.

My last thought is no dog is worth a human life, so talking about killing someone who killed your dog is a bit off kilter. People get stupid during gun season and tempers with loaded guns are a bad thing. If I had a neighbor making dogs an issue, I would talk to him, several times, then try to get the authorities to help via the right channel once, and if those failed I would kill the damned dog, begrudgingly.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

I made the "Yankee"(no offense obviously) comment. Evidently you didn't read my entire post. Yes, deer dog hunting is definitely a southern thing. As more and more "Yankees" migrate south, the sooner deer dog hunting will disappear. "Yankees" love hunting, they hate deer hunting with dogs.

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent
Where is all this "Yankee" talk coming from, I thought deer hunting with dogs was a southern thing?

I've never shot a dog running deer, seen only about 6 or so in 26 seasons, but my buddy shot 2 I let go by me and who knows how many more. In WV, the authorities wouldn't give half a sh*t if you killed a dog running deer.

My last thought is no dog is worth a human life, so talking about killing someone who killed your dog is a bit off kilter. People get stupid during gun season and tempers with loaded guns are a bad thing. If I had a neighbor making dogs an issue, I would talk to him, several times, then try to get the authorities to help via the right channel once, and if those failed I would kill the damned dog, begrudgingly.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WestVirginiaBrent

I would shoot someone over my dogs, and so would alot of other houndsmen that I know. So if you are thinking of doing that, just keep in mind that there are people like me out there. Is it really worth taking the chance?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

That's a bold statement. There's a flip side your statement as well. Is it worth it letting your dogs run on to someone else's property whom you don't know whether or not that they will shoot them? Or even moreso, what if you know they will be shot. You have a GPS tracker so you know exactly where they are at all times. I think you, as an upstanding houndsman, have an acute obligation to keep your animals off of other people's property, especially if you know they will be shot at. To me, that's just naive letting your dogs run onto someone else's property knowing that they will be shot at. Personally, I'd never shoot someone's hunting dogs no matter how much it pissed me off. However, I have several good hunting buddies that wouldn't give it a second thought to shooting them. I really think that deer dog hunting will vanish eventually. Not only is it extremely intrusive to property owners, it is also a crutch for those who do not know how deer use their environment, except maybe their escape routes etc, when they're scared out of their minds. Just my dos centavos.

Originally Posted by Jim Burns
I would shoot someone over my dogs, and so would alot of other houndsmen that I know. So if you are thinking of doing that, just keep in mind that there are people like me out there. Is it really worth taking the chance?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live and hunt in Va and dogs can be and are a problem....but what I find an even worse problem is the hunters who come on your property looking for their lost dogs while your sitting in your stand....these guys should have to wait till AFTER legal hunting is over before they can come on any property to look for the dogs so as NOT to screw up your hunt make a bad situation even worse....I also think if you use a dog it's no different then me using a bow..shotgun or muzzle loader....YOU SHOULD HAVE TO HAVE A SPECIAL PERMIT JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.....like $5 a dog.....
I don't believe in shooting anyone's dogs....they are just doing what there bred to do...chase deer....they don't know property lines .....but the hunters do and SOME DON'T CARE.....I had two run around the place Im hunting a week ago.....if it happens again I'm gonna take a box of MILK BONES with me a see just how hungry these dogs are.....don't know how well a dog will run with a belly full of bones......
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VA5326
I made the "Yankee"(no offense obviously) comment. Evidently you didn't read my entire post. Yes, deer dog hunting is definitely a southern thing. As more and more "Yankees" migrate south, the sooner deer dog hunting will disappear. "Yankees" love hunting, they hate deer hunting with dogs.
I'm a " Yankee "....move from Maryland 18 years ago to Virginia....and your right VA5326.... I love to hunt...but would like to see hunting deer with dogs disappear and be replaced with SUNDAY HUNTING FOR ALL VIRGINIA HUNTERS........
Old 12-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jim Burns

Well, I think what you're saying is a lot of bravado from your couch. If a guy like you came up to me on MY land, flaring up, we're both armed, well, a guy like that better be one quick draw on his gun because at that point I would already be off safety with the gun aimed at him. I'm very level headed, don't want to kill a dog, or a dude over a dog, but I'm sure as hell not going to be killed over a dog either. Quite frankly, with the disposition you are showing in this thread, I don't think you should be hunting with dogs, you're a news story waiting to happen.

Human life > Property Owners rights > Dog's life

I say that as a life long dog owner who loves my pet a lot. I would kick a guy's ass for my dog, but I'm not shooting anyone over the family pet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.