Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dear Dog Hunters

Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dear Dog Hunters

I have no real desire to hunt with a bow. Buzzing insects, green leaves and warm weather don't mix with deer hunting IMO. But you may be pushing me in the that direction. The four times I got to hunt in our two weeks of muzzleloader season were awesome. Saw deer every time and killed two. They don't let you run dogs during muzzleloader season. Thank God.

Now that the dog hunters run their dogs through every cotton-pickin' inch of Pocahontas State Park, it really, really makes the deer extra prone to going 100% nocturnal. Yes, even on the weekdays.

Got to hunt some private land this past Saturday for the first time. Thought it would be awesome. But I found that the surrounding properties run deer dogs. And guess what? Those dogs came onto the property where I was taking my sister hunting for the first time. What's that you say? You can't control where the dogs run, and dogs don't know the property lines? NO KIDDING!! That's the point.

So I might just have to take up bow hunting, simply to be able to hunt without your invasive critters crawling over every inch of woods known to man.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

oopppps...thought it was a deer..my bad.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

If it's not wearing orange....IT GETS SHOT! HA!HA!HA!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

This one should get real interesting soon. I know how you feel about the dogs and all that, but i hunt with a club and we use dogs. I love still hunting but i also grew up using dogs. Its been around along time and hopefully will never go away. But when im not hunting with the club I will goto my private land i have. If im still hunting and dogs come blasting through i get aggervated but i will try to kill the deer they are running so the hunters know im there. Most the time the deer will get on the property and run for awhile and alot of other deer will be up moving also cause they are stirred up and they are moving to get away from a chase. Most the time thats good cause you may not see some, use it to your advantage, even though they come running by you doesnt mean your hunt is ruined. I have seen big bucks move just after a chase in the same woods.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Yea sorry dog hunters but put yourself in someone else's shoes, extremely inconsiderate to your fellow hunter. Any dog on my property that affects my hunting becomes a distant memory real quick, even if it's mine!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by AquamanPSD
Yea sorry dog hunters but put yourself in someone else's shoes, extremely inconsiderate to your fellow hunter. Any dog on my property that affects my hunting becomes a distant memory real quick, even if it's mine!
You could be looking out from the back side of the chain link fence! There are laws that will put you in jail for shooting a dog weather it is on your property or public. Check your state laws before you shoot and make sure the dogs owner don't find out cuz if he is like me, you may see the "bright lite" sooner than you think!

We are all hunters and just cuz you don't use hounds, others may wish too. PERSONALLY, I don't, but if it's legal, GET OVER IT!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

I',m almost positive you have the legal right to shoot any dog that is harrasing your livestock, pets, or wildlife on your property in KY. I am pretty sure most states are like this. And don't worry the only people that would know is me, God, and the nice people at the Chinese resturaunt down the street. :-)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
You could be looking out from the back side of the chain link fence! There are laws that will put you in jail for shooting a dog weather it is on your property or public. Check your state laws before you shoot and make sure the dogs owner don't find out cuz if he is like me, you may see the "bright lite" sooner than you think!

We are all hunters and just cuz you don't use hounds, others may wish too. PERSONALLY, I don't, but if it's legal, GET OVER IT!
I'm pretty sure there are laws against killing other people, too. You may want to check your local ordinances.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

I dont have the problem of hunters running dogs while I'm deer hunting, but did have a pooch come by my stand causing a problem during bow. He never made it out of the woods.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

I've hunted King George County before. Wierd hunting Deer with dogs but... that's what they do there.
Have the guy (hunting the dogs) pinched. Grab a dog if you can and copy the tag info or at least a picture of the dog(s) and then find his auto. Snapshot his plate and send it to VA DEC.
They will investigate. Running dogs do NOT know boundaries but that shouldn't be your problem. the handler should have control 100% even if that's not technically possible.

My $.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.