Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Someone else hunting in my stand... >

Someone else hunting in my stand...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Someone else hunting in my stand...

Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Someone else hunting in my stand...

Sounds like your dad is non-confrontational and doesn't really care about hunting on the property. Since it is his name on the deed, you may need to simply accept that and not do anything other than maybe very politely mentioning to the guy that you would like to have your own stand to yourself.
Not saying it is right but some folks will go on land and use someone else's stand unless they are specifically told not too, especially if they are a neighbor who has done your dad a good turn or two in the past.

Otherwise, if you want to play hardball with the type of folks who will burn a barn, then get your dad to sign over hunting rights to you and then you wil have a legal basis for dealing with the guymuch more effectively.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys sorry for not posting in a while. Nothing new has happened and the season is over for a month, so its after the fact now. It's funny to here about barn burning, because my dad did have his barn burnt down about 7 years ago, by a neighbor next to this guy. It's finally starting to get rebuilt now. But anyway I said before I would take the stand down but I had second thoughts. It's too much of a legacy to have a stand in that spot for family to hunt easily. A climber would solve it but that wouldn't be something my dad would go in. This weekend I'm planning on getting a picture of the treestand that I got several requests for and posting it for a better visual.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

My Treestand

Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

My Treestand

Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like the guy who owns the land(your dad)is fine with the neighbor hunting his land. If the stand is the big issue, take it out and use a climber. Sounds like the guy is going to be there stand or not. There is something to be said for neighbors not having fences between them. Don't let your greed discourage a little friendly neigbhorhood situation. You want it all for yourself. Dad wants to be a friendly neighbor. He doesn't care if the guy is there or uses your stand. You can take the stand down, use a climber or hasty ground blind... but it doesn't sound like the neighbor will disappear. Congrats to your dad for allowing a neighbor to cross the line without making a big stink. Deer are out there. A hunter will get his. Incidently, your stand is one ugly piece of work. Not much secrecy and cover going on there. A neon light would add a nice touch. LOL Me, I'd burn it.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

It looks as if you spent some time building a solid and well constructed, stand! Thanks for sharin'!
ORIGINAL: Zrabfan26

My Treestand

Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 AM

After seeing the stand I would put a gate that starts on the platform and goes up to the shooting rails. You can wrap a chain around it and padlock it. Unless your neighbor is pretty athletic he isn't going to be able to get into it.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whos barn is that out there across the field? Looks like I could easily see someone in the stand from the barn using my binoculars. MAy have to watch a few minutes but eventually you'd see them looking around the tree to check the field and edge.

Then, a simple call to the law and if they couldn't get there in a decent amount of time I would just set the vidcam to rolling and blast across that field in a truck or atv. He would be caught dead to rights. The law could use the tape to cite him.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thats my dad's barn you see in the pic. The time he's in it is during the day when I'm at work, I think he must work 2nd or 3rd shift.