Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Someone else hunting in my stand... >

Someone else hunting in my stand...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Someone else hunting in my stand...

Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Someone else hunting in my stand...

I am really irritated with the neighbor at my dad's farm. He doesn't have any permission to hunt my dad's ground, yet he'll hunt my stand when I'm not around. Last year it was the last day of rifle buck and I wasn't in the stand, so he helped himself to the stand. It turned out he bagged what was most likely the biggest buck the farm has ever shot, some luck. Drove his truck right through my dad's field to retrieve it, again without permission. This year he shot another deer from that stand, unkown if buck or doe during the week while I was at work. Once again driving through the field, this time leaving ruts. When my dad told me I said "what an a-hole". He didn't say anything either time and told me well he don't want to piss him off cause he's the neighbor and sometimes if the steers get out he'll call him to let him know. So I'm offended that he don't want to piss this guy off instead he's pissing meoff. So I don't know what to do. It's my dad's property he's trespassing but its my treestand. For at least the past 30 years theres been a wooden stand in this location, 2 years ago I rebuilt one made out of pressure treated lumber. I didn't build it so this guy can enjoy. If I take it down then I lose out, which isn't right. What would you guys do?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Someone else hunting in my stand...

Well if your dad doesnt want to piss him off you sure can but thats prolly not the best way to do it.....Its your dads decisions if he wants to let it go though cuz it is his property. I guess the only thing you can really do is leave the guy a note in your stand or in his mail box and say you would really appreciate it if he didn't use your stands and since my fatehr doesnt seem to mind you hunting on our land that you should talk to him and find out where it would be ok for you to sit on his property cuz your screwing my spots up and this way we can both be ok with the situation.... To bad ur dad doesnt care that he hunts there only cuz he doesnt want to piss him off. He is just a neighbor and your dad can always make a much better fence.... Hey maybe thats an idea. Tell ur dad you'll make the fence completely steer proof and that he needs to tell the guy he cant hunt there anymore. Might cost you some money in fencing but would be well worht it IMO. Good luck. WCL
Old 12-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's sounds to me like your dad has inadvertantly given this guy permission. He knows the guy hunts on his property, yet doesn't care and allows it. The only way you're going to prevent this guy from hunting from your stand is to either tell him, take the stand down, or move the stand to another location no as easy to find. What I would do is put some sort of cable or chain across the seat so no one would be able to sit in it. Then you can keep the key. If you find the cable or chain cut, then it would be confrontation time.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

This guy doesn't have any hunting ground, he might have an acre of grass wedged between farms. I think one of his main reasons of not wanting to make this guy mad is that the other neighbor's kid burnt my dads barn down about six years ago for unknown reasons. So I feel he just letspeople walk on him so he don't have anything bad happen to his farmagain.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

My friend had a similar problem, so he laid a booby trap. He put a 5 gallon bucket of water in his stand then tied the pull up rope to it. He tied it to the bucket ina manner where you could barely reach it from the ground. You had reach up and pullit down to tie your bow on and when you did you would pull the water down on top of you. The next time he went out there was an empty bucket. He hasn't had the problem since.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Crow, that is funny and should be very effective.......
Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

As you mentioned it is your Dad's property and maintaining a healthy / neighborly relationship is also a good thing...

It sucks for you, no doubt, but consider taking the permanent stand down and trim the tree for a climber.
You can leave it attached to the tree with a lock and use it when your around. At least it's not a comfortable "free" seat for your Dad's neighbor ~ correct?
I know it's a little more work / money and may affect this years hunting.
But if you have more pressure from an unwanted trespasser your already battling something anyways.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not much you can do about it, if it is your dads land and he dont want to do anything about it.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:58 PM

I would tell your dad to grow a pair and maybe fix your fence so the steers wont get out! You and your dad should go talk to this guy and tell him he is tresspassing
Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I think I'm going to take the stand down. I don't want to make strife by confronting this guy. That would be for my dad to do. I could do some kind of chain/cable preventitive, but it's the whole point that I shouldn't have to. It's a shame cause even if I'm not in it, that's where my brother hunts when his spot is to unbearable to hunt. He sits on a huge rock at the top of the hill and when the winds blowing it can get real bad. The permanent stand is down in the hollow/swamp where it is much less windy. Plus when we put a drive though the strip of woods bordered by fields on both sides this is where we sit. It really bothers me that people don't ask to hunt on other people's land and then to help themselves into a permanent stand like I put it there for him.

Quick Reply: Someone else hunting in my stand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.