Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow Hunting Stand or Not? >

Bow Hunting Stand or Not?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stand
86.05%
Ground/Blind
13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Bow Hunting Stand or Not?

Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bow Hunting Stand or Not?

If you had a choice between using a stand or not while bow hunting what would you do?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:16 PM

Default RE: Bow Hunting Stand or Not?

Stand, wherever possible.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

After hunting out of a treestand for years, last year I got a pretty severe pinched nerve in my neck and lost feeling in my left tricep and partially in my left pectoral muscle. That made using my climber (not a sit down-stand up type) impossible for months. I bought some camo netting material and sat on a bucket the rest of the season...but could never get over feeling like I was sticking out likea sore thumb on the ground. I didn't have many encounters to boost my confidence either.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

In some of the places that I hunt it's not an option but the only solution. There are two places that come to mind in my hunting areas. The most significant one isan early season location that deer come to up until mid October. The land is posted on both sides of me and the property is very narrow. Fortunately the deer pass right in front of my ground blind. I have had it set up for 3 years in a row and only use it during the early season on my evening hunts. The trees are set too far back for a reasonable shot. The ground blind gets me close and the deer have grown used to it. I would prefer a treestand but I like this setup just because I am eye level with the deer. The other benefit is that I can take my kids. The days are warmer, they are safe on the ground, and they get a kick out of spending time deer hunting and being so close to the deer.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gamespooker

Stand, wherever possible.
Agreed. I prefer to use a stand. But there have been times when I just haven't had any other option.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Treestand where possible for deer, and ground blind if you cant. I shot my buck this year out of a groundmaxx groundblind. I prefer double bull though.

And defenitely a groundblind for turkeys although some guys do huntem outta treestands.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:59 PM

I've had very good luck on the ground. Sit still, blend in, control your scent, play the wind and enjoy the show. Last season my brother and I were 4 ft. from a doe and her young. We sat motionless as they strolled the edge of the winter wheat field we were hunting. We were nestled under an apple tree. The season before that while sitting under that same apple tree I had a book buck staring daggers at me but never thought anything was wrong. Every once in a while he would stop and look in my direction but would soon flick his tail and keep on coming. I should have drawn earlier. Once he was within 15 yards I proceeded to draw and my arrow fell offthe rest and onto theshelf and landed where I was "going" to put mole skin. That was my bad and would have happened in a tree as well. 7 days later, just before the opener of gun season, I stuck a 4 point from the ground. I personally like the anatomy angles that the ground offers. I've killed deer from both tree and ground but given the choice I'll be on the ground. It adds to the excitement especially where I hunt as we usually see a few bear each year too.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

i like stand hunting, but nothing is wrong with the ground either.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:17 PM

Tree stand when possible....haven't had to think about a ground blind yet where i hunt...