Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting on the way to your Stand. >

Hunting on the way to your Stand.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting on the way to your Stand.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting on the way to your Stand.

How many of you guys hunt on the way to your stand? I personaly DO.

I have been almost ran over buy deer on the way to stand, epecialy miday during the Rut. Just looking for thouhgts..
Old 09-20-2006, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Hunting on the way to your Stand.

I do
Old 09-20-2006, 08:53 PM

Hey Man, anyway you can get them. I've never got a shot but if I see deer I sure get ready. You never know whats gonna pop out of those weeds and then stop to look.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't, because I'm in my stand an hour before first light, hence my user name.I can't during the rut because I hunt ALL day!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I do. Always go in slow guys, the buck of a lifetime might be just ahead with his head down.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Absolute must when it's daylight. Another reason to have quality open patterned camo. There's a lot of talk about treestand hunting and camo and not moving but what about when you have to move, ie stalking your stand and eye level moving through the woods.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm already in my stand and ready to shoot by first light , so its too dark for me to see any thing but the trail I'm walking on.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

defininetly do when its light out. even when its dark i still try to be silent..gota work on that..usually im fumbling around and making a little too much noise..my goal for this year is to sneak in alot better then the passed. theres no excuse for it i know my areas like the back of my hand..i just rush and hurry even though im always atleast a half hour early. opening day im usually nearly 2 hrs early. opening day of bow season im camping in my tree! im too excited lol. but when im going in midday i almost still hunt my way to my spot. ive never done much good deer hunting. but when im hunting other game i always see deer when im sneaking around. itll pay off one day!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do, on the way back after the hunt (morning hunt)

Before doing so I saw one of the largest bucks on my East Texas lease
one day when I let my guard down and was talking on my cell phone walking towards my 4 wheeler at 11:15 after the morning hunt.
No more than 80 yards away a nice whopper steps out, scent checks an over hanging branch above the trail trail and then proceeds on w/ out a care in the world.
I quickly hung up and tried to head him off at one of the trail intersections, but I guess he took another trail.

Walked up on a big boar pig once while retuning to the 4 wheeler also.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Here's a little story that might make you want to hunt on your way in. Last year on my way to my spot, I missed the chance of a lifetime. While I'm walking down the trail I always have an arrow knocked and ready to shoot. Well as I'm rounding a corner I see movement to my left and stop dead in my tracks. No more than 10 yards to my left I see antlers coming up from a small brook (hidden by some brush). I raise my bow to get ready for the shot, just as the buck steps into a perfect shooting lane, what happens........ I was so excited about being out there I forgot to knock an arrow. I slowly crouched down and knocked an arrow, and when I got up he was out of sight. Scanned the area thinking maybe he bedded down, but never saw him. Would have been my first deer, and I'm still trying for my first. So point being...be prepaired. Once your on your way in, consider yourself hunting....unless it's not legal hunting hours.

Quick Reply: Hunting on the way to your Stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.