Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 chewing or dipping while in the stand >

chewing or dipping while in the stand

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

chewing or dipping while in the stand

Old 09-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: chewing or dipping while in the stand

It seems that if the deer in your area don't associate the smell of chew with danger then it won't spook them. Once they know that smell is associated with a camo blob in a tree then it will spook them. It's nice to have a dip to help pass the time. When I dip in the stand it makes me wonder if I would have seen more deer if I didn't dip that night.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 AM

I was stuffin a used up wad of Red Man in a 20 ounce MT Dew bottle looked to the right from 20 ft ladder stand there stood a big 7 point buck 8 yards from my stand aim 3006 end of story. Buck never knew I was there.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

I chew/dip on stand and tend to lean towards apple or peach, One onther thingI do is kick all the leaves and bring up some fresh dirt around the bottom of my tree to help cover the scent up. Last year I missed a huge buck that walked right under my stand and stopped and smelled the estrus I had out and right next to him was my spit.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 PM

i dont see a big deal about it
Old 09-28-2006, 07:03 PM

I dip while in a stand and have yet to be proven that it "chases" the deer off. I have had them walk right under me and I have shot several despite the habit. Skoal Brother !
Old 09-28-2006, 07:17 PM

Well, I know most of you won't believe me, seeing as how I'm a girl... but I always had Grizzly mint out in the stand with me last year, and the year before that. In fact, I shot my 7 point with a dip in, he was headed straight for my stand about 30 yards out... didn't seem to bother him. Same with my button buck from last year, had a dip in, never noticed apparently, cuz he came right to me.

I am missing it soooo badly, I quit 7 months ago, the day I found out I was pregnant... this thread is killing me! I made a promise to myself that I won't start that habit again... but I am not sure I will be able to stick by it. It's so hard to be a woman who chews because it's not something I really feel comfortable doing in public, people *really* look at you funny. I'd be okay, but I don't want to embarass my hubby!

I also loved the Skoal apple, and the berry blend... oh gosh... I should *Not* come back and read this thread... I should *Not* have read it in the first place.... sitting4 hours on stand is not going to be the same without it.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Spike

I dip every time i hunt. i can't help it....I do wonder if it effects my chances, but honestly, i think it is all a matter of circumstance. I mean i can drive a field and stop deer dead in their track, and wonder why they won't move while i drive by........Or i can step on a stick in the woods, and think it has ruined my chances drastically...........either way....i will dip, but try to remain smart about it........lol
Old 09-28-2006, 10:38 PM

I usually dip Cope Black.. which has a strong alcohol smell to it. So I wouldnt recommend dipping that in the stand. But I hearthatkinds like berry and peachcan attract em. But, you hafta wonder if you wouldve seen that monster had you not waited till a little bit laiter to pack your lip.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

kybow..just do it and have a good time afield
Old 10-05-2006, 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck Huntin Girl

Well, I know most of you won't believe me, seeing as how I'm a girl... but I always had Grizzly mint out in the stand with me last year, and the year before that.
It's so hard to be a woman who chews because it's not something I really feel comfortable doing in public, people *really* look at you funny. I'd be okay, but I don't want to embarass my hubby!
Nice to know I'm not the only gal who chews.

I used to work in a big old junkyard back in Texas. Most of thetime we could practically walk up on a deer. First day of deer season would arrive and the guysfrom the big city (Houston)who leased surroundingplots from my boss would be out in full camo, scent-blocker gear, uber-weapons, shiny new 4x4's....more moola in their gear than most of us made in a year. Anyways, half of 'em never saw a deer throughout the season, despite spying on 'em all year with their cameras and what not. Yet we'd stillbe walkin' up on 'em in the junkyard. Our running joke was all you needed to stock the freezer was greasy flannel, a pack of Camels, and a cuttin' torch.