Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does chewing gum on the stand... >

Does chewing gum on the stand...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does chewing gum on the stand...

Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 PM

Default Does chewing gum on the stand...

effect anything? What if it's spearmint or cinnamon flavored?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does chewing gum on the stand...

If u believe in the whole no scent perfectly scentless things then i guess it could effect you. Me personally i believe u should stay neutral scent but ive seen my dad stick many a deer with a cigarette in his mouth. So who knows lol......
Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

I had a wad of bubbalicious in my mouth tonight while I was hunting. Had 7 different deer, all different directions of my stand, and all within 18 yards tonight. Not one of them seemed to notice a thing. So I would have to say no.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I chew gum while on the stand. Wrigglys Extra Spearment to be exact. I have never saw anything to make me think its bad. Butyou never know about the deer that you dont see. One of my buddies smokes on the stand all the time and i mean all the time. He has killed some very nice deer, know telling how many he has shot while he was smoking. Now I dont condone this at all, for one thing i dont smoke, but i have to admit its kinda of hard to argue with the success that he has had.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont chew gum but scent control would not be a reason not too IMO. If you was really worried about it, chew something wintergreen, smell just like a birch.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

I just figure it's not gonna be any worse than my stinky breath after 3 or 4 hours of sitting up in a tree w/ no drink or anything.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I chew beetle larvae, mainly: Roundheaded wood borers-- found under loose tree bark or boring into the wood. They are legless, and the fleshy body is broadened and rounded right behind the head. The adults are long-horned beetles.

They smell natural because they eat bark and wood, duh? And they're really quite delicious!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

i can't see it affecting anything, i've never really fallen into the whole "scent free" fascination. no offense to those of you who do, there's just other things i'd rather spend my hard earned money on. the only scent control product i use is scent killer, six bucks for a big spray bottle, figure it can't hurt. i've never gone all out though, with all the detergents, deodorants, soap, body wash, you get the idea. i can't see the gum hurting anything, i dip copenhagen on stand and its never hurt my success, i've killed several nice bucks with a rifle while dipping. as for bowhunting, i killed my first bow deer (a doe) three weeks ago with a dip in. so if dip doesn't hurt, i don't think gum would.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

I do not think breath really maters all that much. I try not to smoke when I am hunting, and I am not advocating tobacco... but..

Skoal Mint,
Grizzly Wintergreen,
Copenhagen Straight
Copenhagen Original Longcut. are recomended by folks I know as Deerhunting chew for curiosity scents for Deer.