Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

chewing

Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 PM

Default chewing

I read a lot of posts on this site and it has been very helpful in training my year and a half old lab Emma. She knows most of the basics and at times makes me think she is smarter then me. The only problem i have with her is letting her stay loose in the house. She pulls things off the countertops and tables and anything else she can get a hold of. If my wife and i are in the room she's fine but as soon as we go in a back room she's bad. While we are gone, we keep her in her kennel. She's got all the chew toys and gets a lot of exercise and work. We had a shock collar but she chewed it up too, (dont ask im not sure either). thanks in advance
Kevin
Old 06-24-2004, 01:25 AM

Default RE: chewing

What I have noticed with zeus and others that i have taked to this goes on till around 2yrs old. Once zeus started chewing up the kids toys,Coffee table he went out to the kennel. Now he is 3 and rarley chews stuff up in the house or yard. You might look in getting him a big red Kong toy. Zeus would chew that for hours. I would put peanut butter in the middle and he woudl chew for ever. I also lost a bark collar to his chewing and replaced the steering whel on my wifes caddy when he was a puppy.
good luck
Old 06-24-2004, 11:52 AM

[&:]My black lab never chewed and boy do I feel lucky after hearing other tales of labs that did!.. She is almost 3. But I was with her 24/7 the first year we had her, so maybe that kept her from chewing. I do have one problem too with her now when we leave the room: She will get food off the table or out of the trash can and eat it. Even tho she gets 2 meals a day PLUS snacks..

Maybe if you put her in a room with a gate so she is confined in that room only. (when you leave her alone). Nothing to chew but a deer antler. Mine has a deer antler that we have renamed the sassyfier......keeps her busy for hours at a time!!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:36 PM

1 year old lab...so far has chewed swimming pool, cable TV feed into house (twice), deck, siding, shoes, bicycle, pooper scooper, a tree (it's gone), swing on swing set, paint can, pens, adirondack chairs, brush for grill, garden hose and a wide assortment of kids toys. The only thing she refuses to chew/eat is anything my wife cooks.

Otherwise, she is perfectly behaved
Old 07-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with the chewing I have a 4 1/2 year old lab that chewed everything till he was about 15 months old now he only chews if he is ignored for several days (not taken out and worked hard) . As for taking things off the counter ,I set up the vidio camera in the kit. and hooked a tv up so I could watch him while I worked elsware . I used the "N" word and a touch on the shock collar that cured the counter surfing in 2 days.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:23 PM

i have a 1.5 year old lab. who never got into chewing.... thank god[8D]. there can be a few reasons your dog can have this behavior, one may be a lack of attention, or possibly the dog is hyper, and needs to be excerzied daily, or worked harder. in any case, not all of us have the time to walk our dogs every day like we usualy would like, so a chew toy, or something to keep the dog occupied would be nice. what you could also look into would be a cream they have that comes in a tube its called "bitter apple". a relative of mine had a lab that loved to chew on table legs, and wood in the house or on the porch. the owner baught this cream, and applied it to the furniture, and the dog stoped bitting house furniture, and became more obiedient in the house. from what i saw the cream was very bitter, and left a bad taste in the dogs mouth. it didnt take long before the dog stoped chewing in the house. good luck
Old 07-14-2004, 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: nmarro

iwhat you could also look into would be a cream they have that comes in a tube its called "bitter apple". a relative of mine had a lab that loved to chew on table legs, and wood in the house or on the porch. the owner baught this cream, and applied it to the furniture, and the dog stoped bitting house furniture, and became more obiedient in the house. from what i saw the cream was very bitter, and left a bad taste in the dogs mouth. it didnt take long before the dog stoped chewing in the house. good luck
I tried a spray product called "Bitter End" several months ago...she just licked it, chewed what is was sprayed on and laughed at me [&:]
Old 07-14-2004, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The dog needs to be in a crate or kennel run when it's unsupervised.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:57 PM

not sure how the spray works, but the cream, gets stuck to them, and almost makes there mouth foam, all i know is the dog hated it, and in no time stoped chewing on the table legs. teh cream is like a gel, but thats pretty funny that your dog was licking it. every dog is different, so my experience differs from yours. i would also suggest to kennel or crate the dog when you are not around. good luck
Old 07-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Doc. Kennel the dog when you are not with it. If you do catch her chewing something that is not hers calmly grab her by the back of the neck and give a little shake and say "Thats Not Yours" in a commanding voice and give her a toy that is hers. You must be prepared at all times for this. It is worse than raising a child, lol. This is the same way the mother dog would discipline her. Good kuck...

Quick Reply: chewing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.