Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Chewing

Old 11-13-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Chewing

My lab mix is 1 year old and is very destructive, he has free run of the yard but with a fence but I now have to keep him tied be cause of all of the damage he has done. I know that dogs chew but he is not just chewing, he will get mad or bored and just start eating chunks out of the deck and porch on my 2 year old new house. He has also ripped up the outddor lights, ripped up the lawn edging in the flower beds, debarked my trees, destroyed my wooden bench, destroyed 2 water hoses, chewed up my daughters swing set (wood), and when I say chewed I don't mean just teeth marks I mean he has tore multiple chunks out repeatedly, and I can also not catch him in the act of doing it becase he does it when we are not outside. I am in the process of getting a kennel but I am wondering if anyone has ever had a dog that was like this, and will he ever outgrow this. Thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 11:15 AM

Default RE: Chewing

I have had dogs like this, especially labs, they can be terrible chewers. He will most likely get better, but he will probably always love to chew. These are hard dogs to break because they will chew anything, so bitter apple or the e-collar do not help much. A kennel where he can do no harm is your only option. Tying him up will just make it worse.