Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 chewing on stand >

chewing on stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

chewing on stand

Old 04-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default chewing on stand

I chew. A LOT, about 4 cans a week. Here's my question. For all you guys out there who do it, does it make a difference? (I know this is a lot similar to the smoking thread) I'm curious though. I know it makes my breath smell like cherry or mint, whatever i've got in.I don't do it in the stand and haven't ever. I just want to know if it will make a difference in the negative way. Any experiences?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Default RE: chewing on stand

I never had a problem , with packing a nice lipper in, skoal wintergreen ,i had a nice fork horn come in at 10 yards that i pass during bow season , had some in and i took a nice doe at about 25 yards with m/l again with some dip , one of my friend smokes a;lot he had to put to smokes out the opening day of shotgun and the next day to he ended up shoting a small buck and a doe
Old 04-10-2006, 05:58 PM

I couldn't think of climbing into my stand without my snuff! I usually climb my tree (Summit Viper) reach my height, pull my bow and fanny pack up, turn around, sit down, nock an arrow and pack a big ole rub in. I used to chew (rub) Copenhagen but when they got too greedy and started charging over $4.00 for a can I switched over to Longhorn finecut, same as Cope but only costs around $1.29 a can. I can remember when Copenhagen sold for .55 cents a can.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:49 PM

I chew Redman chaw nonstop basically. In 3 years of hunting (I'm only 17) ive killed 2 does and 2 4 points. This doesnt count all of the deer ive missed or passed. My uncle chews and he has 6 wall mounts at his house so id have to say it doesnt affect your hunting that much.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont see where it makes a difference at all. I hunt off the ground and have killed deer with a bow with no problems from snuff. They dont associate the smell with danger. I dont worry about spitting in a bottle either i just let r rip and it hasnt gave me any problems. i couldnt imagine sitting there for a few hrs waiting for things to calm down to get to prime time without a dip in. I always take my dip out though about 45mins before dark so i dont have to make ne unnecessary movements or sounds when the deer usually show.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Opening day of ML season I had two does walk up about 30 yards. I was sitting under a tree and couldn't move. Not even to grab my spit bottle which I kept on a cord around my neck and shoulder. Long story short I didn't get a deer and swallowed some berry flavor Skoal which made me gag and scare the deer off.[:@]

I have quit now after a guy I knew died from mouth cancer and whenI saw another buddy pull loose skin out of his mouth. I am a social dipper now. Maybe 2-3 times a year.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:46 AM

Besides being a death sentence for all of us that do it, there are no ill effects that I have seen.... I've been doing it for 15yrs....
Old 04-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cram a dip in while on stand all of the time. It's almost ritualistic.I havehad deer 15 yardsaway under my stand and I opened my can and put a dip in while watching them. I would recommend spitting in a bottle and not on the ground though.

PS. I have also quit copenhagen. Too expensive. HUSKY fine cut natural is just like it if you ask me at about $1.20 per can.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been walking around for close to 25 years with a can of Cope in my pocket,it has yet to have stopped me from filling my tags every year.
BBJ
P.S. I haven't spit in close to 20 years,if your gonna chew,swallow it.Nothing more disgusting than a spit bottle.Blah!!![:'(][:'(]
Old 04-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Besides being a death sentence for all of us that do it, there are no ill effects that I have seen....
I am a fanatic when it comes to scent control, and from my own experience I'd agree with DC. Although I'm not convinced ALL chewing
tobaccosare OK. I think the more it smells like dirt...the better it
will 'blend in' with the woods.

It will be 25 years this September for me, Copenhagen...can a day...that's a LOT of $$$. Every deer and turkey I've taken, I've had a dip in.

Quick Reply: chewing on stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.