Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

1st Time Turkey Hunter

Old 04-23-2005, 03:39 PM

Default 1st Time Turkey Hunter

My son have been hunting for 3 years together. primarily deer. We went turkey hunting for the first time last weekend and saw birds but were busted most times. I was hoping to pick the brains of some of you experts.
1. I yelped at day break got a response from far away, but then no response the rest of the morning. I couldn't really tell weather the birds were getting closer or not. in this case should I continue to call or just shut up and wait?
2. The weather herefor tomorrow (Ohio)is supposed to be 35 with snow and rain mixed...should I set up in a field corner, in some oaks or down by a creek flat? or maybe not go at all?...I have never hunted this area before for Turkey but have seen good deer numbers there in the past.
3. Do gobblers answer to a gobble shaker better than with a yelp with a box or slate call? thanks for your time i appreciate it
Old 04-23-2005, 05:29 PM

Default RE: 1st Time Turkey Hunter

Hi and welcome to the forum!!

Lots can be learned by just reading the posts here. I will include a link that I also found helpful.

There are several reasons gobblers go silent on the ground. Hens are the main reason but they could also shut up because they are subordinate and don't feel like getting picked on that day. If you have been calling and a bird has responded to your calls---I would continue with some clucks and purrs for an hour or so. Keep a good watch out and be pretty still as he may slip in on you. If he is with hens---you are going to have a real rough time calling him away.

It is best to pattern henned up gobblers. Where do they roost? Where do they fly down? Whare do they go when on the ground. If you can patteren them---you can get yourself in position before daylight and be ready.

Turkeys do like to go to fields in rainy weather. I would find a field edge somewhere and campout for several hours.

Gobbler shakers can elicit a response from gobblers---but you best be very careful because other hunters may begin to stalk you. Also---I have used a gobbler shaker on private land and watched a struting bird beat feet. He did not want to get picked on by a dominate gobble that he presumed was me. It works the other way around as well---it just hasn't happened to me. I would stick with hen calls.

There is LOTS more to say. Check out this link and good luck!!

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...y/libindex.htm
Old 04-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 1st Time Turkey Hunter

Nick and son, 1st off, Welcome to the Huntingnet family. It is good to have you witth us.
1. I generally start off with a locator call, such as an owl hooter, or crow call for later in the day. When they do answer, it will let you know the general direction they are in. As long as he was answering your call, I would keep calling till you knew whether he was coming to you or not. If he wasn't, then you can plan your strategy to get yourselves closer to him and try calling again.
2. If by chance you know where they are roosting and which direction they are going after flydown, try to get set up along the path they will travel to the field where they will be feeding, struting, etc.
3. I know some use the gobbler shakers with success, but I have never liked using them for no particular reason. Just always stuck to the hen calls and locators.