Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 First time turkey hunter >

First time turkey hunter

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First time turkey hunter

Old 01-22-2004, 06:33 AM

Default First time turkey hunter

Ok guys been bit by the hunting bug ....usually just hunt deer , but after getting back into hunting for real , I would like to hunt turkeys as well. Any tips or strategys for a newbie would be appriciated. I will be hunting in South Jersey on public land. Saw plenty of turkeys during Deer season. Had one fly over my stand , never knew they could fly like that.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:45 AM

Default RE: First time turkey hunter

i am not familar with your neck of the country,but i will give you some basics.
1] scout the area for scratchings,droppings,feathers and dusting areas.
2]look in areas where there is water for roosts trees[creeks,bottom etc.
3]when you think you know where they sleep and travel ,you are ready
4]a few days prior to the spring season,get to a high point before daylight and listen for gobbling.they will gobble on the roost before flying down.
5]make a mental note of travel route and obstructions such as fences,thickets,river,creek etc.
6]do not call to the birds!
7]once you have done your homework,get in place within 200 yards of the roosting birds before daylight preferably,on east side of roost.
8]when it begins to get light, the birds will begin to talk,use simple soft yelp to let them know where you are.gobbler should begin to sound off when other birds start talking
9]have total camo including face and hands and gun in position to get on the bird when they fly down
10]use mouth call or push pin yelper when bird can be seen so as not to be seen moving your hands while calling
11]practice with different calls prior to the season opener.i would recommend a box call and push pin yelper for a beginner.get an instructioal tape and learn the basics and don't try to be an expert on your first hunt.PATIENCE is the most important factor with no movenent when you can see the gobbler.
good luck!
http://www.vaturkey.com/sounds.htm
Old 01-22-2004, 11:31 AM

Ditto what loner said. But be careful about your decision to hunt wild turkeys!

You may lose your job, your wife, and everything else because all you want to do is hunt turkeys.....chasing them birds is addictive.

In all seriousness it is a the best kind of hunting in my opinion...you'll love it. Very challenging. Don't be too hard on yourself the first year....you have a lot to learn. You can approach turkey hunting like whitetail hunting is some aspects but there are many differences as well. An old man once told me "if turkeys could smell like whitetails they'd be impossible to kill." He was absolutely right.

Also....you can learn a lot from the NWTF forum on their website. All the members will be glad to help. Make sure you join the NWTF....it's a great organization.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:11 PM

Ditto on joining the NWTF, it's a great organization and it does a lot to preserve wild turkey habitat. Also ditto on the information above, those are great basic tips and if you follow them you are already ahead of the game.