Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 my 1 day of turkey hunt in mo >

my 1 day of turkey hunt in mo

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

my 1 day of turkey hunt in mo

Old 04-22-2005, 04:43 PM

Default my 1 day of turkey hunt in mo

I got out of my truck and gave out a tree call nothing so i walked down the road about 150 yeards and gave out another and pow got a giant call back .So i jumped down behind a fallen tree and gave out another it was still light and i thought i didn't have time to put out my decoy's . and about 15 min of calling he flyed down out of the tree about 60 yards away down hill of me . so i called him in to about 35 yards after about 1 hour of calling and him stuting and gobbleing to me and decide to take the shot when he pass a clump of tree's and right as he was about to cross the tree's a young tom came runing in and the big tom gave him a gobble and he ran like hell away but the hen that was with him ran over to the older tom i was working and then down the hill and the tom followed[:@] i could have took the shoot at about 50 yard's but i didn't know if it would be a good shot with what i use .a old remingtom modal 11 with 2 3/4#4 shells it dosn't say what size it take on the gun . dose anyone thing i could give a good hit at 50-60 yards with what i shoot?
Old 04-22-2005, 06:06 PM

Default RE: my 1 day of turkey hunt in mo

Could you have killed him at 50? Yes. Should you have tried to? No. Good decision. Shot pattern is not nearly as dense. IMO
Old 04-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was just tough luck. Next time maybe things will go your way.

I believe mobowhutr gave you good advice.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:54 PM

thanks it was tuff to pass it was my 1 tom i saw in the woods only been turkey hunting for 2 years .i didn't get any my 1 spring turkey hunt but got 2 hen's in the fall .going out for sunday and monday hunt at my friends farm wish me luck all
Old 04-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

kerr, you did the right thing not to take the shot. An ify shot is never a good shot to take. More than likely wound the bird and it would get away and die elsewhere.
Luck to you my friend, but I don't think you will need it. I have faith that you are going to bring in a big ole gobbler sunday or monday.