HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st Time Turkey Hunter
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2005, 05:29 PM
sour01

Default RE: 1st Time Turkey Hunter

Hi and welcome to the forum!!

Lots can be learned by just reading the posts here. I will include a link that I also found helpful.

There are several reasons gobblers go silent on the ground. Hens are the main reason but they could also shut up because they are subordinate and don't feel like getting picked on that day. If you have been calling and a bird has responded to your calls---I would continue with some clucks and purrs for an hour or so. Keep a good watch out and be pretty still as he may slip in on you. If he is with hens---you are going to have a real rough time calling him away.

It is best to pattern henned up gobblers. Where do they roost? Where do they fly down? Whare do they go when on the ground. If you can patteren them---you can get yourself in position before daylight and be ready.

Turkeys do like to go to fields in rainy weather. I would find a field edge somewhere and campout for several hours.

Gobbler shakers can elicit a response from gobblers---but you best be very careful because other hunters may begin to stalk you. Also---I have used a gobbler shaker on private land and watched a struting bird beat feet. He did not want to get picked on by a dominate gobble that he presumed was me. It works the other way around as well---it just hasn't happened to me. I would stick with hen calls.

There is LOTS more to say. Check out this link and good luck!!

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/...y/libindex.htm