Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 tips for a long time deer hunter but first time turkey hunter? >

tips for a long time deer hunter but first time turkey hunter?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

tips for a long time deer hunter but first time turkey hunter?

Old 04-22-2004, 05:03 PM

Default tips for a long time deer hunter but first time turkey hunter?

I'm 13 and I've been huntin deer for about 3-4 years now. Tommorow I'm leaving to go turkey huntin with my uncle in south carolina. I was wondering if you have any tips for me. My uncle already killed one with a 10 inch beard, he called four in at the same time and took the biggest one hope I do the same.

Tips would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: tips for a long time deer hunter but first time turkey hunter?

Be Patient, and Very Still. And don't call too much, if you get one to gobble early at you, dont keep calling, slow it down to where he knows your there and is interested. good luck, and listen to your Uncle.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:35 PM

sounds good, thanks for the tips
Old 04-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not calling too much is good advice. Also, "it's easier to call a turkey if he's going there anyway". Do your scouting, not only to locate birds, but to get to know your hunting area intimately. Know where the fencelines or ditches are, know where the birds will be traveling when they're on the move. When the birds have gone silent for the day, you'll have a better idea where to go and set up to do some blind calling.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

By this time in SC, a lot of the hens shoul be about ready to set the nest. If he gobbles early, then leaves, go back to that area about 9:00 and see if he's looking for you.

Other than that, MDManiac and BuckSlayer101 pretty much have it nailed.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2004, 06:15 AM

Yes, be very patient, still, and practice with all the calls you are going to use. Make sure you are in position to shoot before you see him, if you need to move wait until he is behind something or in full srtut with his back to you to move. Listen to your uncle, don't over call take the gobblers temputure find out what he wants to hear. Keep your eyes and ears open, see with your ears. Lots of times they will come in silent or another bird will sneak in be ready for anything. Becareful the more birds you call in the more eyes there are to see you. Know the land your going to hunt. Look at topo maps or talk to the landowner about the land. Every situation is different and use what you learn from your uncle, advice from the web site and your past experiences to formulate your own equation to success in the ever changing, sometimes frustrating, but highly rewarding world of hunting the smartest big game bird in the world!!!! Good luck and safe hunting