Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 First time turkey hunter >

First time turkey hunter

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First time turkey hunter

Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default First time turkey hunter

This was the the first year that I ever hunted for turkey. I wuold have to say that i'm hocked. It was alot different than hunting deer were I have to set and be quiet. It was new to me to call to a anminal and it call back it blew me away as I heard the bird comming closer. We the bird came in to view all I could think is how the head of the bird sood out being white. I rushed the shot and missed the bird but I cut every branch that was around it. I should have let it come in to the clear. I was using turkey loads and a premo tight woad turkey choke but it was not anuff to get throw the thick stuff. I live in Ohio and only can hunt in the spring without driveing across the state. The reast of the season the would call back but would not come. I gess they were hened up. So if you have any avice for give me a holler. I know I will be in the turkey woods next year to give it a shot. If you have not tryed terkey hunting you should it will blow you away!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: First time turkey hunter

Welcome to the awesome world of turkey hunting. I can tell you are now addicted. So are the rest of us here. Feel free to ask any question. yes you should have let the turkey get into the clear before taking a shot. Where did you aim on the turkey. You need to shoot it in the head. As for the head color of the turkey it can be white, red or blue.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

I aimed for the head but like I said I did not let it come out in to the open. Next year I will know better.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Don't feel bad...I missed a few times this fall too...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing like it in the world.
Tips
Dont aim for the top of the head.aim for right above the base of the neck. that way when your pattern spreads you have a better chanec of putting more pellets in the neck.

patience. learn to be patient. i had to sit once while i called a bird across a 300 yard cattle pasture. imagine watch a bird come from that far away.

pattern your gun before season so you know your maximum effective distance and how your pattern spreads at certain distances.

and never be afraid to ask questions
Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

You can't do to good turkey hunting without finding things out about it first...you need to know about turkey and how to hunt them before you go.