Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement >

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Old 02-11-2015, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
It's okay to have divergent opinions. Just don't flame each other. Regardless of lawsuits or not, Remington apparently has a recall currently in effect (see links below).

The 700 is obviously a solid rifle that many people use to build superb long distance rifles and other custom rifles. Like anything else mechanical, sometimes parts don't work like they should and have to be recalled.

I don't know if Remington did the recall by choice or by court order. Either way, Remington is taking care of it. After 13 pages, I think you've all covered this subject and can let it rest.

If you have a Remington rifle and want to see if it's being recalled, Remington also has this website (see link below) where you can input your rifle's serial # and see if your rifle is being recalled. Pretty user friendly.

http://xmprecall.remington.com/

I haven't followed this thread in a good while, but Cal... isn't the link you posted to a recall that remington has on a different trigger than what this thread is about?

I'm just curious. I own several older 700's....with the walker trigger. Am I mistaken, or wasn't this thread about the walker triggers being recalled? If they are on recall... (as this thread is titled - massive recall) why does Remington not list that on their site?

(sorry if this has been covered, I'm not going back and reading all these posts)
Old 02-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I haven't followed this thread in a good while, but Cal... isn't the link you posted to a recall that remington has on a different trigger than what this thread is about?

I'm just curious. I own several older 700's....with the walker trigger. Am I mistaken, or wasn't this thread about the walker triggers being recalled? If they are on recall... (as this thread is titled - massive recall) why does Remington not list that on their site?

(sorry if this has been covered, I'm not going back and reading all these posts)
Cal's link has nothing to do with the Walker triggers this thread was started about, so you are correct. The recall in his link is on the newer XMP trigger that is under total recall since it replaced the Walker in many models in 2006/07. The Walkers are not and will not be put under a recall and this was discussed earlier in the thread after Remington advised that the tentative settlement should not be classified as a recall as my thread title shows. This is based on the fact that they have never admitted and will not admit to there being a defect with the Walker designed trigger. If the Judge approves the settlement regarding the Walker triggers being talked about in this thread, it would be up to individuals to learn that they might also qualify. There are a number of ways proposed that Remington would come up with to help the consumers learn of the settlement. The Judge may not approve the settlement based on a number of questions he is asking and comments he has made and if he doesn't approve of the settlement it's right back to square one! IMHO if you have not had your rifles thoroughly checked/cleaned by a competent gunsmith, I would do so before using them again and also think seriously of putting aftermarket triggers in them to replace those Walkers. Then you won't have to worry about whether this settlement is approved and what you may then need to do if yours qualify. Between now and next fall is the perfect time to do that so you don't lose any time in the field if you wait because this decision by the Judge sounds like it may be months away.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Topgun - You have posted to this thread twice after you sent me that PM stating that you were not going to add any more posts.

Let it go.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Topgun - You have posted to this thread twice after you sent me that PM stating that you were not going to add any more posts.

Let it go.
sent me one also stating the same thing and bashed me for supposedly smart @$$ed remarks
RR
Old 02-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Since when are PMs talked about out on the Forums gentlemen? You do know what PM stands for don't you? I would hope so, since you're both long time members on here, but in case you don't know, it's a PRIVATE MESSAGE to keep things OFF threads for various reasons so things don't get out of hand and cause a Mod to intervene, as has already happened here on this thread that I started. Also, all I did was answer a couple questions and they were directed to a new member to this thread, not to or about either of you in that post. Also, if you will notice, Cal stated right out on this thread to maintain a civil discussion which I've been trying to do even though it's been difficult with some of the retorts back at me by one of you! I'm sorry, but I don't remember saying in my PM to you, Big Uncle, that I wasn't going to post any more on the thread, but I did say I wouldn't to a particular member, that being RR. However, RR sure makes it difficult with the continual retorts and questions back that make it look like I'm trying to evade something when all I'm really trying to do is keep from being accused of flaming/fighting and being banned. Then when I stated right out on this thread that was the reason I was trying to end it, I still got a smart retort back. Seeing as I started this thread, I believe I can decide if and when I want to reply and who I do or don't reply to. I believe as a Mod that Cal has full control of the thread and would hope nothing causes him to lock the thread or ban anyone just because of opinions that differ on the subject of this thread. If/when he says to quit posting I will certainly honor that request, but until that time I believe I will reserve my right as a member in good standing to post whenever I want to as long as I don't violate rules of the website. In closing, I hope that this thread has been of benefit to a lot of members that were not aware of this trigger situation and from all the positive PMs I've received from members thanking me I believe that is the case. Unless someone has a question I can answer, I don't intend to continue on the subject since I agree with a previous post by Big Uncle that we are beating a dead horse! Have a good evening gentlemen!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-11-2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WV Hunter

Darn it!!!! sometimes Google search is NOT your friend.

Seriously though, excellent catch!! You too Topgun! I don't own a Remington 700 (although I'd love to own a few) and am honestly not familiar with different factory triggers used in various model 700's. This subject has come up in the past on HuntingNet. I couldn't recall the outcome so I Google searched Remington 700, trigger recall. I obviously found the links (and articles) that I posted so assumed it was being handled by Remington and posted them in the discussion. If Remington is having AD trouble with more than 1 trigger, they should seriously consider switching to aftermarket triggers if that's what it takes.

I don't think anybody on this forum is in favor of Accidental Discharges (AD's) or guns that do that. Jeepkid made an excellent point about "user safety" as well. It's hard to have an AD (not impossible though) if your finger stays off the trigger.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

check the recall link, if your rifle has a smooth trigger and was made after 2006, it is under recall, if the trigger is ribbed and made prior it is not. the thread started out about 7.85 million 700's being recalled, that is not so, those with the walker triggers are not under recall.
Remington has a link on the recall page where you enter your serial number and it tells you if its under recall or not, everything else is speculation at this point.
RR
Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

PMs are private messages but that doesn't entitle anybody to send inappropriate material/messages in a PM. Members can use PMs to attempt to explain things away from the forum but that doesn't entitle anybody to send something that would be deemed inappropriate in the forum or if the other member has requested no further PM contact. Different members are going to have different levels of knowledge, experience, etc. and thus sometimes have different opinions or understanding about any given subject. That's kind of how life works.

This subject (like any other gun subject discussed by a bunch of gun enthusiasts) can be touchy at times. Are there some Remington triggers with problems? Obviously as even Remington has a current recall on the newer (not the Walker style) trigger. There are millions of Remington rifles that don't have trigger problems and (as far as I know), the Remington 700 action is still the most popular action for building up a custom or semi-custom rifle, etc. Must be doing something right.

It's okay to discuss, disagree and even believe whatever you choose to believe, even if it's silly. You're not always going to convince somebody to accept your opinion, agree with you, etc. The forum rules allow all of that. The forum rules don't however, allow you to insult, badger or otherwise offend other members, even in PMs. Please follow the rules and agree to disagree if it reaches that point.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me (nicely ).

Cal
Old 03-12-2017, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Over 2 years since this thread was last commented on.. I don't know if that's a record but seems long for an important issue as this. This is the first day in a while that I've been on here, but I was doing a search on "Remington model 700 trigger". I did this because I was going to give aforementioned ADL 30-06 rifle to my son (31 years old) but was wanting to research replacement triggers to replace the factory trigger. I love the rifle. It is still in excellent condition and with it I have harvested many animals, including many whitetails, Elk, Mule deer, etc. But it has fired unexpectedly 3 times over the years. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until a few years ago when it fired on me when I slipped the safety off. I was shocked and surprised when it went off, because I didn't think my finger was anywhere near the trigger. I thought back a few years when my son was taking the safety off outside of my truck when it went off. I yelled at him and accused him of having his finger on the trigger. He of course denied it. The first time I think it happened is when it happened to my brother. My brother bought it new back in the 70's. It went off on him while him and I and some friends were deer hunting. It scared him so bad he sold it to me and never hunted again (any animal ever again) Sad! But right now my search is just to find a good, safe, reliable trigger to replace the factory one with. Is their a consensus on one. It doesn't have to be the best one out there just a good one.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onebigelk
Over 2 years since this thread was last commented on.. I don't know if that's a record but seems long for an important issue as this. This is the first day in a while that I've been on here, but I was doing a search on "Remington model 700 trigger". I did this because I was going to give aforementioned ADL 30-06 rifle to my son (31 years old) but was wanting to research replacement triggers to replace the factory trigger. I love the rifle. It is still in excellent condition and with it I have harvested many animals, including many whitetails, Elk, Mule deer, etc. But it has fired unexpectedly 3 times over the years. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until a few years ago when it fired on me when I slipped the safety off. I was shocked and surprised when it went off, because I didn't think my finger was anywhere near the trigger. I thought back a few years when my son was taking the safety off outside of my truck when it went off. I yelled at him and accused him of having his finger on the trigger. He of course denied it. The first time I think it happened is when it happened to my brother. My brother bought it new back in the 70's. It went off on him while him and I and some friends were deer hunting. It scared him so bad he sold it to me and never hunted again (any animal ever again) Sad! But right now my search is just to find a good, safe, reliable trigger to replace the factory one with. Is their a consensus on one. It doesn't have to be the best one out there just a good one.
Best choice, for me anyway, is a Jewel, I think the HVR,. It has a ton of variability in both weight and travel adjustment but it's pretty salty price wise. My second choice would be a Timney. Really simple drop in, good variability on the pull weight, and most of all SAFE! Around $100 cheaper than the Jewel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.