Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me choose .308 vs. 3006 >

Help me choose .308 vs. 3006

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me choose .308 vs. 3006

Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help me choose .308 vs. 3006

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I had a couple beers in me last nite (had to mourn getting 2nd place in sporting clays) and was just feeling like raising a lil ruckus. It was nothing personal, just tryin to create a lil controversy every now an then.

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

ORIGINAL: Rammer

When did this become a pissing match between a 30-06 and a 7mm???? Any deer hit with either bullet in the vitals will hit the ground at the same speed, normally within 100 yards or a lot less. I've owned both cartridges and I have never had a deer go more than 30 yards out to 500 yards. Saying a deer hit at 50 yards or less with an '06 will go down faster is absurd. What kind of proof do you have to back up this statement, other than personal experience with no witnesses.... I have personally seen deer shot with a 17HMR at 100 yards that have dropped in their tracks.
No ones trying to make it a pissing match. I just refuse to hear that the 7mm is superior to any 30cal bullet other than a 300 win mag at any range.Thats absurd if anything is.It's no big deal, I'm not going to argue about it anymore. I never said that the '06 would hit harder up close, just saying that the 7mm is'nt the '06 daddy like diggerr says it is. And the argument was never with you in the first place, I thought we were in agreement, guess not.
If you will, quote me on the statement that the '06 will knock one down faster than a 7mm inside 50yds.
For the record, in my personal experience, with no witnesses, of course, the '06 has dropped more in their tracks for me so far within 50yds than the 7mm, FYI. Though they don't go more than 10-15 yds with the 7mm and some do drop. I have a better drop ratewith the '06 so far. No proof needed, thats why everything i've said in this thread is MY opinion, asyou have yours and diggerr has his.
Hey man, no worries. I had a few myself.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: Diggerr

I've knocked deer half way down mountains with a 7mm mag inside 50 yds, and they never got up.
I'd like to see that one on Mythbusters...
You're not the only one man!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:23 AM

Anthony T. guess we can agree to disagree, no hard feelings intended, but the deer and the mountain did happen, believe it or not. Take Care
Old 08-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Diggerr

Anthony T. guess we can agree to disagree, no hard feelings intended, but the deer and the mountain did happen, believe it or not. Take Care
hey man, we do agree on the 7mm being a tough mutha. I have a word of advise for you to show you i have nohard feelings also:
Try some 150gr swift scirocco bullets in that rifle. Talk about a hitter. Mine will knock a fist size hole in a big deer at any distance and always passes thru. Leave a quarter size whole entering. Try them on deer this year dude. They will amaze you.
I was only disagreeing about the 7mm being superior in every way to a 30-06 because my 30-06 does just as good as my 7mm in the woods.
Im a 7mm freak also though, try them swifts and let me know what you think. They will also cut a fencepost in half and passthru it too.Have to be the best deer bullet out there for it, ive tried a few too. They put core lokt and partitions to shame.Ballistic tips suck IMO. They fragment too much.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not much of a difference between 308 and 30-06. I shoot a 30-06 because I inherited one from my father. If I had the choice, I would go with the 308 (shorter action).
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter
I'd like to see that one on Mythbusters...
ORIGINAL: Anthony T.
You're not the only one man!
MythBusters did a similar test on whether the movie style knock-downs were accurate, using a variety of weapons on a human dummy made of ballistics gel. None of them caused anything even remotely resembling knocking someone across a room. (Edit: I did a google search, and the tests were done in episodes 25 and 38).

I can believe that the 7mm Rem. Mag could put deer down in its tracks, and that the deer then rolled halfway down a mountain due to the force of gravity, but, knocking a 200-300 lb animal halfway down a mountain? I'd really have to see it to believe it.

I'm also not knocking the 7mm Rem. Mag. It's a heckuva cartridge and I own one as well, and if I was on an elk hunt, I'd probably take it rather than my .30-06...