Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow scopes on rimfires?!?!?! >

Crossbow scopes on rimfires?!?!?!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow scopes on rimfires?!?!?!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Crossbow scopes on rimfires?!?!?!

Hey fellas,
I know nothing of crossbows (I need more time!) but I have a friend who just mounted a scope built for corssbows on his new 10/22....I'd love nothing more than to tell him he's wrong and that it jsut won't work, but I don't know! So, what are the pros vscons of trying this?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow scopes on rimfires?!?!?!

It will work, just not as well as some other choices.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 PM

What is it that casues it to NOT be the best choice...does the recoil bounce it around to much, just not sturdy enough...what gives?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's probably sturdier than the average cheap .22 scope due to being built for fwd recoil.
The multiple aim points are probably going to be useless on a .22 and just cloud up the field of view. Crossbow scopes have thicker reticules than rifle scopes [generally] and a 10/22 is capable of some real good accuracy at small targets a thick xhair will want to cover up. Most xbow scopes sell a little higher than a cheap 4x32.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:11 PM

Good answer! Thanks!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Will not hurt the scope at all, but like Dan said it is not what a good 22 would want. most 10/22 guys try to make nickle groups at fifty yards, his hairs will stop him from doing it. But if I did not have the cash and needed a scope on it and had a CB scope just laying there, I would do the same thing. Not a bad thing, just not the right application.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 PM

A bullet flyes a lot different then an arrow. I am sure the arrow is going to have much more arch. The scope manufacturer's most likely did a study on how arrows fly out of crossbows then set up the scope marks to match. I have been hearing things like 10, 20, 30 & 40 yard marksin the scope due to rise and fall of the bolt. A22would most likely, at those ranges, just useone mark due to a flatt projectory.

If you were bent on using the scope, put a large card board target at 50 yards and 100 yards and shoot the 22 using all marksat one point and see where each line hits. Thiswill give youwhat lines to use for what range. I think the large difference may put you over the target. It don't take much for a rifle to make a big movement on a target.

Lastly, all the guys above are right about thick cross hairs. The better the scope, the finer the cross hairs, the brighterand cleaner the image looks.

Hope this helped.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

A scope is a scope. The main reticule intersection of a X bow scope will work as an aiming device for a 22. The secondary aiming points will also work, their accuracy will depend on distance. Given tht the trajectory of a 22 is substantially flatter than that of a bolt the secondary aimpoint will be "on target" much further out. And, given the low magnification of most said scopes, they may be largely useless for distance shots.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda O/T here guys, but this thread brings back alot of memories. I had several 10/22's and would set them up for friends. We used to get them at K-mart for about $100, put a 1" tube 4x32 Kassnar scope on them. I like sighting my .22's in at 50'. This puts you dead on at about 70-80 yds, 5/8" or so high at 50 yds and only 2" or so low at 100 yds. The ammo these rascals seemed to favor was Federal Hi-Power or CCI Minimag hp's. I used to take great delight in the look on my friends faces when I had it sighted in and shot the thumbtacks out of the target and it would flutter to the ground! Guess ya had to be there!!