Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Crossbow Scopes

Old 07-13-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Crossbow Scopes

My handicapped son is going to try bowhunting this year with a Horton Yukon SL 150 weight bow and he wants to put a scope on it. I have seen several crossbow scopes but I have a couple of very good scopes just laying around collecting dust so I was wondering if anyone in this forum has used just a regular rifle scope on one. I hate to spend the bucks for a specialty scope if one of my presently unused scopes will work. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:32 AM

Default RE: Crossbow Scopes

Two issues I can think of right off hand are that the paralax will not be right. A rifle scope will most likley be set to 100 yards or so, unless it is for a rimfire, then it might be 50 yards. I don't know if the crossbow scopes are set lower or not. I would think they would be since your shots would be inside of 40 yards or so.

The other issue would be the recoil. Sort of like putting a regular scope on a high powered spring air gun. It can destroy a scope because the recoil is reversed and the scope is not made to handle it. I would think any air gun scope would work well on a cross bow though.

That being said, I had a barnette 150lb compound cross bow years ago, maybe '85-'86 or something. I had a run of the mill bushnell on it and never had anyproblems with it. Probably a 40 dollar scope I got at Kmart or something. I was only like 18 or so at the time. It worked ok and never broke. I sold the cross bow after a little while and bought a savage 30-06 and put the same scope on the rifle with no problems there either.

However I put a really nice 100 dollar scope on a high power pellet gun once and it ripped the reticle right out of it on the third shot! A cross bow would have the same type of forward recoil so it is a possibility it could happen.

Take a look at a Red dot scope if you can use them, they work pretty nice on a crossbow. They also make scopes with different aiming points in them especially for crossbows. It would be simular to a multi pin sight on a bow. I don't beleive they are adjustable though, I think they are factory set. I believe Horton puts them out? So they are calibrated for the speed of thier bows I would guess.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 07-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Paul is right on both counts , the scope has to be designed for crossbows or it will get torn up . If you shop around a bit you can find a decent one for a few bucks , I got a pretty nice yardage adjustable Simmons crossbow scope out of Sportsman's Guide for under $30 .
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 AM

Thanks guys. I've put this question out on several sites and going with a scope designed for the crossbow seems to be the general consensus. Thanks for the tip on the Sportsman Guide as they still sell crossbow scopes and at a good price, too.