Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you Butcher your own Meat >

Do you Butcher your own Meat

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you Butcher your own Meat

Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you Butcher your own Meat

Sure do, I started doing my own last season and butchered the 2 I killed this season so far! I'll have it no other way!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Butchering Meat ___Redo

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I used to take all the silver skin of the meat I was gonna gring, but that took so long .... I tried not cutting it all out and guess what ...... the silver skin has zero flavor ...so its a non-issue.....
PT! I just saw this. You have no idea how glad I am to hear someone else say that. I worked my keister off trying to get all that slimey stuff off on the first few deerI processed. Then I finally tried leaving it, and noticed absolutely no difference in taste what-so-ever.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Sure do. I like to do my cuts a little different than most butchers. I also like to clean my burger much better than a butcher will before I grind it. That way it will be good for what ever i want to cook with it. Ive actually got to butcher a buck tonight. I shot a buck last weekend and have had it quartered and ageing in a make shift fridge. So to night ive got to cut it up.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Right now I take mine to a processor, they are a real small town butcher, the kind of small town where everyone knows everyone else and they do a fantastic job, had my doe back a week to the day from when I shot her and they do good work...that being said, I want to learn to butcher myself just to save money...does anyone have any good tips or help on learning this, what gets me is the special cuts, I'm sure I'll learn with time. Just need help getting started.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Sure do. I like to do my cuts a little different than most butchers. I also like to clean my burger much better than a butcher will before I grind it. That way it will be good for what ever i want to cook with it. Ive actually got to butcher a buck tonight. I shot a buck last weekend and have had it quartered and ageing in a make shift fridge. So to night ive got to cut it up.
I just finished one last night, Burnie.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I used to take all the silver skin of the meat I was gonna gring, but that took so long .... I tried not cutting it all out and guess what ...... the silver skin has zero flavor ...so its a non-issue.....
PT! I just saw this. You have no idea how glad I am to hear someone else say that. I worked my keister off trying to get all that slimey stuff off on the first few deerI processed. Then I finally tried leaving it, and noticed absolutely no difference in taste what-so-ever.
I agree, but I still try to take most of it off because it goops up my grinder. I do clean all the fat I can. Fat has lots of gamey taste to it.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I just finished one last night, Burnie.
Shoot, I should have sent mine to you. I was going to do it last night, except I had to drive two hours to get the wife a new washer and dryer. Id much rather butchered the deer.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, but I still try to take most of it off because it goops up my grinder. I do clean all the fat I can. Fat has lots of gamey taste to it.
Well, you're right there. It does "goop" up the grinder, but I'll take the few minutes "un-gooping" the grinder over the extra hour ormore trimming.(Those are some cool sounding words) I take off as much fat as I can also. As far asthe "gamey" taste goes, though,I happen tolike it to an extent.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I butcher my own. It saves money and I know I do a better job cleaning my meat then some of the meat I've seen at butcher shops sitting in their vats waiting to be ground.[:'(]
Old 12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

If I get the blowsh!ts from it,its my own fault!
I spit soda all over my monitor you bastage!

I have done both, but processed all of mine so far this year.

GH