Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The truth about muzzleloading!!! >

The truth about muzzleloading!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The truth about muzzleloading!!!

Old 12-16-2015, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
How much more is it and does it come with pellets? I know many of the experienced guys like loose powder for consistency but a few of my hunting experiences with my 54 which I loaded with loose are laughable. Couple the excitement, cold hands and the sight picture of a shaking hunter standing in snow with a big black stain on the snow all around the gun is priceless.
It's just loose powder, and I doubt it will ever be in pellet form.

Cost around $34 for 10oz. Not quite as bad as it seems, because you can use less of it for similar fps of other powders. However, it still cost more than the rest. Personally, I feel it's overpriced, but no other powder has it's advantages.

Another reason I like sidelocks. I have no temptation to use anything but real black powder.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

How much more is it and does it come with pellets? If more powerful does the amount change much from Pyrodex and how do you get a comparable load. I know many of the experienced guys like loose powder for consistency but a few of my hunting experiences with my 54 which I loaded with loose are laughable. Couple the excitement, cold hands and the sight picture of a shaking hunter standing in snow with a big black stain on the snow all around the gun is priceless.
Like any change you would have to work up a load for BH209 with your bullet of choice. As for reloading with loose powder regardless of type, a speed loader is nice as are pre-loaded tubes of powder. But if you're as shaky as you think and pouring you're powder all over the ground then maybe you should carry a small funnel. AND, if you shake that much, how do you plan on making an accurate second shot?? Just saying!!!!!
Old 12-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe that's why he needs a 2nd shot?

Just a joke, so I don't get a warning.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

CI, BH 209 only comes in loose powder in 10 oz and 5lb. containers. The max. load by volume for bh is 120 gr. instead of 150 gr. bv for other subs. Pete summed up BH209 well.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Hahahah bronco good one. The shaking hunter was an exaggeration but I have on occasion during my 50 yr some odd hunting career developed a serious case of the shakes. The 2014 bull elk at 35 yds with about 30 or so cows all around me really got me going. The hunting Gods smiled upon me and kept the wind perfect so I didn't get scented by any of the girls some of which were 20 yds away. I could hear the herd bull coming up the canyon for what seemed about a minute and figured I would either get scented or seen hiding along the log I had been sitting on. When he popped up over the edge as the last in the herd I was shaking pretty good. I did once spill the load with a speed loader in the snow as described but quickly dumped the half filled barrel and loaded another. After that I did switch to pellets and have used them with good success ever since here in Vt where legal.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-16-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Maybe that's why he needs a 2nd shot?

Just a joke, so I don't get a warning.
I wish I could say I never needed a second shot but alas that would be a lie. I have killed a bunch but unfortunately have missed a few especially in the early years. As to the mod directed remark I think most would call me a moderate moderator. My best moderator actions are when I don't have to do anything.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

To be honest, I didn't notice you were a mod.

I posted it for Cal.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

CI, I just switched to BH209 this year. I USED to use T7 loose (still do in my Hawk when I run out of Swiss) and years past I used pyro. As was mentioned, Pete summed up BH pretty well. Although expensive, to me anyway, it is worth the cost. I still light mop the bore between shots at the range but that is more from habit than any need. My Pro Hunter barrel likes loads in the upper range of heat. Light powder loads and that barrel do not play well at all together. But where I would load up 110gr BV of T7 I can get the same accuracy with only 100gr BV of BH with little to no loss in speed. As far as pellets go, I've never been a fan of them. As I have said 100 times on here, you would be extremely surprised at what a 5 grain addition or subtraction to a load can do for accuracy. Many MLers out there have a very touchy "sweet spot". Some land right on that sweet spot with 50gr increment loads like the pellets but most would seriously benefit from a loose powder charge with minor grain adjustments. My old Hawk is one of those rifles. With a 300gr connie and 80gr Swiss2f it shoots around 1.5 to 2" group at 100. At 85gr that group shrinks to 1 inch as long as I clean well between loads. It's just like loading for your center fires really. Take into account your twist rate, barrel harmonics, lands contact, groove depth, bullet ogive, and the many other things when loading up for say your .243 for long range yote popping. Loading up for a MLer is no different other than you don't have a case and you don't have to worry about bullet jump. All those things are still a concern for precision. Give loose powder a real swing and you will probably thank yourself (and probably kick yourself for not trying it sooner) by getting better groups.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Point well taken SH-54. Only after reading the posts on this forum did I hear that there could be that much variation with the pellets. I never realized it and since I am a hunter rather than a dedicated range shooter the subtle differences weren't apparent to me. I sight in and recreational shoot both my smokers often but certainly not to the extent that many of you guys do. I am sure some of this group strives for connecting holes on target which is something I didn't think was reasonable with a muzzy. Like everything practice and innovation can bring better results. I have a whole bunch of Pyrodex as well as a bunch of different bullets I have tried throughout the years. Probably need to add to the collection
Old 12-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Point well taken SH-54. Only after reading the posts on this forum did I hear that there could be that much variation with the pellets. I never realized it and since I am a hunter rather than a dedicated range shooter the subtle differences weren't apparent to me. I sight in and recreational shoot both my smokers often but certainly not to the extent that many of you guys do. I am sure some of this group strives for connecting holes on target which is something I didn't think was reasonable with a muzzy. Like everything practice and innovation can bring better results. I have a whole bunch of Pyrodex as well as a bunch of different bullets I have tried throughout the years. Probably need to add to the collection
Pellets can and do vary but, they can also shoot very well under the right conditions and rifle.

400 yards............

First 500 YARD 3-shot group using pellets.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.