HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The truth about muzzleloading!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 11:18 AM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

CI, I just switched to BH209 this year. I USED to use T7 loose (still do in my Hawk when I run out of Swiss) and years past I used pyro. As was mentioned, Pete summed up BH pretty well. Although expensive, to me anyway, it is worth the cost. I still light mop the bore between shots at the range but that is more from habit than any need. My Pro Hunter barrel likes loads in the upper range of heat. Light powder loads and that barrel do not play well at all together. But where I would load up 110gr BV of T7 I can get the same accuracy with only 100gr BV of BH with little to no loss in speed. As far as pellets go, I've never been a fan of them. As I have said 100 times on here, you would be extremely surprised at what a 5 grain addition or subtraction to a load can do for accuracy. Many MLers out there have a very touchy "sweet spot". Some land right on that sweet spot with 50gr increment loads like the pellets but most would seriously benefit from a loose powder charge with minor grain adjustments. My old Hawk is one of those rifles. With a 300gr connie and 80gr Swiss2f it shoots around 1.5 to 2" group at 100. At 85gr that group shrinks to 1 inch as long as I clean well between loads. It's just like loading for your center fires really. Take into account your twist rate, barrel harmonics, lands contact, groove depth, bullet ogive, and the many other things when loading up for say your .243 for long range yote popping. Loading up for a MLer is no different other than you don't have a case and you don't have to worry about bullet jump. All those things are still a concern for precision. Give loose powder a real swing and you will probably thank yourself (and probably kick yourself for not trying it sooner) by getting better groups.