Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The truth about muzzleloading!!! >

The truth about muzzleloading!!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The truth about muzzleloading!!!

Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,
Nice pics and good information. I'm sure that happens on some T/C barrels for whatever reason. I can also see where that would possibly create issues with lead conicals. Lead bullets deform very easy. Some people deform them loading them not knowing it and get horrible accuracy. If someone finds me a QLA miss lined that shoots Moa with sabots I'll show them I will shoot bore size bullets accurately. Your not going to deform thors, powerbelts, Lehighs, or the Parker bore size bullets I have for example.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
That aint the finished work I would hope?
It needs crowned by looking at the pic.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My impression is that we were talking about lead conical bullets, not: "thors, powerbelts, Lehighs, or the Parker bore size bullets I have for example." Your understanding may have been different.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought we were talking about all conicals?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I guess that's how misunderstandings happen. I more or less assumed lead conicals. Maybe its because they are what I shoot, maybe because they are the ones I and other shooters I know have had problems with in TC rifles with a misaligned qla.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always think of lead conicals used more in sidelocks, and more modern bullets in inlines. We all think about it different though.

I would think a gun should shoot all conicals within reason. Meaning a proper length conical for the twist of the barrel.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:59 AM
Dominant Buck

We all think about it different though.

I always thought of conical bullets as pointed or rounded full bore bullets such as buffalo bullets or maxi bullets made of lead. Sabots being a different class and smaller diameter than the bore which are not allowed in places like Colorado. I view the power belt as another form of conical and believe they are legal in Colorado.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting point Muley. I know that one of TC's pat answers for why their rifles didn't shoot the conicals well was because their inlines had too fast a twist. This goes against what I have learned about shooting them. For example, I have had good accuracy shooting 50 caliber lead conicals in twists from 1 in 24, 1 in 28, and one in 32 inch twists. These bullets have a length that is anywhere from .900 up to 1.005
Old 12-16-2015, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think of the powerbelt as kind of unique because of the plastic skirt, the copper wash coat, and the fact that the bullet itself doesn't engrave the rifling when loading. Yes, it is legal in Colorado and I have heard they shoot acceptably in some of the TC rifles that won't shoot regular lead conicals well. I think this is due to the plastic skirt.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I look at that plastic skirt as functionally nothing more than a patch used as a wad with the exception of being semi attached to the bullet. They do fly well out of my 50 cal TC, load easily but at least IMO don't perform on game as well as a saboted Barnes which load really hard out of my 50 cal. My problem using them for hunting is the difficulty of reloading in the field if needed. If I foul a barrel then load for the hunt that 3rd load if necessary is hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.