Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The truth about muzzleloading!!! >

The truth about muzzleloading!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The truth about muzzleloading!!!

Old 12-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I would say that one is dialed in. Nice.....
Old 12-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Point well taken SH-54. Only after reading the posts on this forum did I hear that there could be that much variation with the pellets. I never realized it and since I am a hunter rather than a dedicated range shooter the subtle differences weren't apparent to me. I sight in and recreational shoot both my smokers often but certainly not to the extent that many of you guys do. I am sure some of this group strives for connecting holes on target which is something I didn't think was reasonable with a muzzy. Like everything practice and innovation can bring better results. I have a whole bunch of Pyrodex as well as a bunch of different bullets I have tried throughout the years. Probably need to add to the collection
pyro and T7 pellets are pretty stable nowadays in consistency. What I was talking about is being able to adjust in smaller grain adjustments than you can with pellets. with them you have 50gr adjustments and that's it. Some barrels just have a sweet spot that is well in between that adjustment range. Barns's UF BP Express likes a maximum charge with that particular bullet but there are more than likely other bullets that it would shoot just as well with the adjustability of a loose powder and dialing it in. It's all part of the fun to me. Finding that sweet spot can be rewarding as well as frustrating as hell sometimes.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
pyro and T7 pellets are pretty stable nowadays in consistency. What I was talking about is being able to adjust in smaller grain adjustments than you can with pellets. with them you have 50gr adjustments and that's it. Some barrels just have a sweet spot that is well in between that adjustment range. Barns's UF BP Express likes a maximum charge with that particular bullet but there are more than likely other bullets that it would shoot just as well with the adjustability of a loose powder and dialing it in. It's all part of the fun to me. Finding that sweet spot can be rewarding as well as frustrating as hell sometimes.
The Good Lord knows I tried. Spent the entire summer a year ago trying. Even sending a couple bottles of BH through it, weighed of course and ended up gas cutting the breech plug using it. Mostly my fault, over priming the brass primer carriers. Tried until after the "cows came home" to get it to shoot the 290gr Barnes and couldn't make it happen. This next summer I'll be trying some Swiss and see if I can get those Barnes to group at long range, along with the 275gr BE.
But........... that thing will shoot that bullet with pellets very accurately
Old 12-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
The Good Lord knows I tried. Spent the entire summer a year ago trying. Even sending a couple bottles of BH through it, weighed of course and ended up gas cutting the breech plug using it. Mostly my fault, over priming the brass primer carriers. Tried until after the "cows came home" to get it to shoot the 290gr Barnes and couldn't make it happen. This next summer I'll be trying some Swiss and see if I can get those Barnes to group at long range, along with the 275gr BE.
But........... that thing will shoot that bullet with pellets very accurately
I spent a lot of time comparing 777 granules and pellets with a chronograph. I was looking for variance of velocities and moisture how it effected the loads. I think you would save money if you bought a Chronagraph and used it periodically when shooting. Cause I don't think you would ever use pellets again.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Banned

no kidding, open box exposed to air, pellet powder that sucks up moisture, is never a good thing. My last batch of t7 pellets went bad after only a year and they were still unopened but had taken up a crumbling dried out look. The pyrodex pellets lasted quite a bit longer.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
no kidding, open box exposed to air, pellet powder that sucks up moisture, is never a good thing. My last batch of t7 pellets went bad after only a year and they were still unopened but had taken up a crumbling dried out look. The pyrodex pellets lasted quite a bit longer.
On my 4th CASE already this year. No propellant remains for a year on my bench, I shoot way to much. Unopened cases goes directly into a humidity controlled environment, then Lane's tubes are loaded and sealed immediately.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

pellet shooters normally are known to sight in, hunt and then put those same pellets back on the shelf to use next year.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
pellet shooters normally are known to sight in, hunt and then put those same pellets back on the shelf to use next year.
Agreed. It happens every year when hunters are having problems shooting need to be reminded to not use last years pellets.
I just shoot to much for anything to stay on the bench long.

Store them properly and they last. At least until you get to the range....

Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not talking about years, I'm talking about days. Open up your new box of pellets the day before hunting season and shoot a fowling shot thru your Chrono. Go hunting and keep gun loaded for two days. On the third day shoot it thru the Chrono. Then when your shocked at what you see, do the same test on paper at 200 yards. You will never use them again. I can't believe as much as you shoot, your not using a Chrono for many different reasons. I shoot at the most 10lbs of BH209 a year. That's when I'm testing new bullets. When I got nothing to test I'll shoot 1/2 that amount. I don't care how much money you have or don't have, I would switch to Smokeless powder for sure. And obviously by a NULA or something else rated for Smokeless.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not want a smokeless muzzleloader. Smokeless propellant from a muzzleloader isn't legal to hunt with in the state, short of during the regular firearms season and the CF rifle zones. It can't be used during the muzzleloading deer seasons in any part of the state. Quite frankly it never will be legal here according to the State's DNR, who is dead set against smokeless propellant in muzzleloaders.

I have no problems on paper at 200yds, rather its fouled and then loaded for a week. POI will be at POA.

I have the following on the list: http://www.mylabradar.com/

I have this on the list: http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...spotting-scope

I have 2 more cases of propellant on the list, 1,000 more bullets and sabots, I just lucked out and found another case of match primers yesterday so that got checked off. I need the dozer back on the property to widen a food plot and remove a few apple trees from the orchard, then level two spots for elevated stands, then push over a dozen trees around the house that cause a threat.

Then I need to make time to shoot with a shooting coach, which I have lined up, just need the time.

In my household, it has a "CFO"... Chief Financial Officer. SHE controls what's spent for on the list. Question answered? LOL

Last edited by BarnesAddict; 12-16-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Old age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.