Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Quartering to shots (Bowhunting) >

Quartering to shots (Bowhunting)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Quartering to shots (Bowhunting)

Old 10-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Quartering to shots (Bowhunting)

Quartering to shots, inside of 20yrds take it or not.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Default RE: Quartering to shots (Bowhunting)

I had a doe at 20yrd took the shot with her head down. Buried the arrow 3/4 shaft but no exit. When she jumped up, the arrow pushed out about 8in and then lost sight of her. After reviewing the video the shot was right in the goods. Because of no exit could not find any blood. The entrance was 1in right of spine and in middle of lungs. Has any had this happen.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:55 PM

I personally don't take these shots. I don't like Quartering too shots, in my opinion they are low percentage shots, and I prefer to wait for the deer to turn, and offer either a broadside, or quartering away shot.

If it is a very slight quarter too, that I think I can put it behind the leg, and take out 2 lungs I will, but not in the front like that...not with a bow. Gun sure, arrow, nope.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Just depends on the situation and surrounds... I actually shot a doe about a week ago that was quartering to me at 18yards. She had her head down and the arrow went in about 3 inches down from the spine kinda in the neck and severed the windpipe then knicked left lung and demolished the right lung, the arrow never passed thru but was sticking out on the opposite side. Deer went 45yards.