Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Expandables/quartering away shots >

Expandables/quartering away shots

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Expandables/quartering away shots

Old 01-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Expandables/quartering away shots

I love expandables but I fear the big 2 bladed ones like a 2" would not penetrate properly from severe quartering away shots. Has any one done it, have you heard anything. I have always been afraid of that!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Expandables/quartering away shots

You've gone and opened Pandora's box.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll probably hear some people say they are fine and others that say don't use them. But if YOU are already afraid or not confident to take that kind of shot with those heads, then you either need to change heads, or not take the shot.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

expandables??[X(] You mean mechanicals right?? New word i guess..........ummm i shoot mechanicals every year. I do not recommend shooting at a quatering away shot, not enough kinetic energy for my set up and it at a bad angle to get all blades open. Can you kill a deer like that? SURE. However i did say i do not recommend it.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

my rocket steelheads penetrate as good as any of the fixed blades that i've shot.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do not recommend shooting at a quatering away shot, not enough kinetic energy for my set up and it at a bad angle to get all blades open.
Why would you shoot them out of your set up when you might have to let the deer of a lifetime walk by because it only gives you a quartering away shot??
Old 01-12-2005, 04:57 PM

I have been using Spitfire 100s for three years now and I have not had any problems with quartering away shots, broadside shots or steep angle shots from 30 feet up and the deer being only 5 yards out. I have shot three bucks that where quartering away and had complete pass through on all of them and shattering the opposite side leg on one.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

hopefully il-cornfed will post a pic he has. he has taken quartering away shots with steelhead xp's. got a real nice entrance wound. [i think it was an entrance pic]
Old 01-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, they are not the 2" cutting monsters that he asked about BUT yes indeed the Steelhead series are outstanding performers at any angle! The new 100XP's that I experiemented with this season worked as expected, flawlessly!!! This is an entry hole on a sharply quartering deer. The shot struck and sliced the last 2 ribs on the left side then passed totally through, exciting just ahead of the right shoulder. After zippin' through all that venison and bone it still have enough to it to burry itself in an ol' rotted log several feet behind the animal. That's the kind of performance you can count on with the Rockets! Here's the pic that 870 wants to see again.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:22 PM

I've seen it more than once...still impressive cornfed.

Quick Reply: Expandables/quartering away shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.