Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's with all the Quartering-to shots on TV? >

What's with all the Quartering-to shots on TV?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's with all the Quartering-to shots on TV?

Old 10-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's with all the Quartering-to shots on TV?

In the past week I've seen 4 quartering-to, or straight head-on shots taken with bow. One was David Hale, another was on Drury's contest show. A third was on Primos on a bull elk, and I can't remember the 4th but it was on a whitetail.

Isn't is almost a forbidden thing in bowhunting to shoot a quartering-to shot? Aren't these shows giving very bad ideas to inexperienced bowhunters??
Old 10-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's with all the Quartering-to shots on TV?

It's the pressure of a very competitive "new" market and the need to get kills on film......the pressure to succeed leads to pressing the issue and poor decisions. Either that or that's just the way they've alwyas been and now we get to see it for ourselves?

another was on Drury's contest show
Isn't this the incident where Mark Drury rips the guy a new one for that shot?[:-] The shooter was like a scolded dog when Mark got done with him.
I applaud the Drury's for their quality of production and their personal standards of bowhunting ethics.
I haven't seen anyone better than Terry and Mark Drury and their subcontractors for making quality decisions in a treestand.....they might make shooting mistakes at times, but they don't make poor shooting decisions.

Quartering-To shots have always been an iffy bow shot, especially as the angle gets steeper and more toward the shooter.......the shooter might get away with it, but the high possibility of making a poor shot into heavy bone, and or no exit wounds makes it a poor choice.
I have taken SLIGHT quartering to shots with success but we are talking a few degrees from broadside.......anything beyond that is a gamble we shouldn't take with an arrow.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:54 AM

I saw a couple of those shows you are talking about. I know on the Dream Season with Drury that guy got hammered about his shot. He was told thatwas not a good shot and "We don't take those shots!" They did recover the deer though.

Another 1/4 to shot was just slight on that huge buck. It was on the Biologic Wildlife obsession.

I don't think the elk was as bad as it looked on film because the elk didn't go far at all.

The one on Knight and Hale was 1/4 to big time, but the deer was so close it was more of a straight down shot than a backward angle but I see you point. It was a questionable shot. I could not believe he took it. They did wait a long time to go look for it. At least that is what they said.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with MAtt 100%>>>>>>> Its about as good as it gets!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 AM

Did you guys see Primetimes 9? The second CD, first video. Illinois hunt. That was a quartering to shot, but its all the buck gave. He was at point blank range and the hunter threaded the needle.I dont condone quartering to shots, but I did this one. 180 class buck at point blank about to bolt, I think you have to do something. It was the best hunt on the video. One of the only ones not on a game ranch. It was a hunt with guys who are not members of the field or pro staff, just guys like you and me. If you have not seen the hunt you need to. By far the best one on video I have seen in a long long time.

Dream Season is good! The best show on TV period. I am so sick of thesethese other companiesthinking we are buying this crap they show. Private game ranches, multiple big buck choices, never have seen the property until they show up. Have no clue where the stands are or helped hang them. It just makes me sick. I agree some are ok, some of the HS stuff and some others, but for the most part sickening. Also, all the fake shots and fake footage, trying to fool us with Hollywood type crap.

They know if they take a quartering to shot and dont find it, they will get another opp at the next game ranch they hunt. You and I may only get one chance at a mature buckall season, thats why our shot has to count.

Good Luck to all, I am off my soap box now!
Chris
SW MO
Old 10-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had a pretty good discussion on this topic a few months ago.

See my comments here - http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...k&#1127577
Old 10-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, Q to shots are a very poor decision. It was great when Drury put that guy in his place for the bad shot.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:03 PM

Sometimes the camera angle and the angle the hunter has are different. Could this be the scenario on some of those shots?
Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 PM

what channels are the hunting shows on?
im from canada and i cant seen to find the channels.
they used to be on for like 3 hours last year on sundays..

Old 10-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: turtleshell

Sometimes the camera angle and the angle the hunter has are different. Could this be the scenario on some of those shots?
Generally speaking, no. When an arrow enters a deer in front of the shoulder it's not the camera playing tricks on us. Believe me, I thought the same thing.

Quick Reply: What's with all the Quartering-to shots on TV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.