Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Quartering to shots... >

Quartering to shots...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quartering to shots...

Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Quartering to shots...

Hey guys I was just wondering about quartering to shots. My brother went and shot a doe tonight as it was quartering to. He shot it tight against the shoulder at 20 yards. The arrow only penetrated about halfway and the doe reared its back legs and kicked. She then sprinted out of site. He decided to back out and wait until the morning. He said that while he walked out there was blood on the ground. (not alot but enough) There is snow on the ground where he is at and he sad as he walked out he saw where she stopped running and began to walk. Had a spot of about a basketball size of blood from where it stopped walking to stand for a second. I told him most likely it'd be dead in the morning but it was good he backed out. He shot it at 6 pm.

What are you guys opinions..?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quartering to shots...

Shame............
Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

general rule of thumb is not a good idea. If he hit her that tight to the shoulder probably got one lung and liver. should be a dead deer from what you are describing. Good luck.

Shane
Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I know its a bad idea, but I guess he didnt. He opted to take the shot though I wouldnt have. Bottom line I'm not asking if it was a good shot or not bearfax because its already said and done, I just want to know if its going to put it down or not.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that arrow is halfway in her and right against the shoulder, that is a dead deer...

Shane
Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Down yes, duickly doubtfull, enough blood to find her probably not. FYI you ask for opinions. Don't complain when you get one you don't like.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I could care less if you agree with his shot or not. Hell IIIII dont agree with it and I've told him that. I just wanted an opinion on whether the deers gonna die by morning or what. Its in the SNOW so he can see TRACKS, and BLOOD very easily. Should be an easy enough track job IF it doesnt keep moving for a half mile or something crazy like that.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 PM

Yes it's dead. I personally like quart to shots, but you gotta put it in front of the near shoulder, not behind it. make it exit right behind the far shoulder and it is deadly.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should he wait until morning or should he go out tonight to find it...?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Should he wait until morning or should he go out tonight to find it...?
Depends how sharp of an angle I guess. If It wasn't to sharp I'd go but If it was fairly sharp I'd wait till morning.

Quick Reply: Quartering to shots...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.