Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Quartering away shots >

Quartering away shots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quartering away shots

Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Quartering away shots

Do you all ever go for the heart on a quartering away shot or just back it up for a double lung? I'm nervous that if I go for the heart I may just hit one lung if I miss the heart. Just interested in your thoughts on this. Thanks..
Old 09-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Quartering away shots

I have never double lunged a deer and not killed it. Heart is a bonus. Decide for yourself.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey team mate you want to transverse the chest cavity.Which means basically you are aiming back so you hit the back of the lung that is nearest to you and the center to the front of the lung on the opposite side.Think in terms of crossing the body diagonally from your entrance point.This also depends on how severely the animal is quartered away from you.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Scot, the reason I ask is that I was practicing this shot on my 3-D target and aimed a little behind the middle of the deer and I was suprised when the arrow didn't come out the other lung. It was between the shoulder and front chest and my thought was " I hope that would hit the heart to". Made me a little nervous to take that shot. I must not have had my bow angled enough towards the other lung.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

unless you know exzactly where that heart is sitting in the cavity, id say hitting it would be a bonus. i know it sits just above the leg...but left side? right side? middle of the cavity?? i dont know...i never looked i just pull them out.

quartering away shots you should try to hit both lungs. if its steep then your looking at passing or 1 lung and liver...

think before you shoot...whats it going to hit going in and coming out?? aim for the exit hole.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: fun2hunt

Thanks Scot, the reason I ask is that I was practicing this shot on my 3-D target and aimed a little behind the middle of the deer and I was suprised when the arrow didn't come out the other lung. It was between the shoulder and front chest and my thought was " I hope that would hit the heart to". Made me a little nervous to take that shot. I must not have had my bow angled enough towards the other lung.
Thats sounds maybe like you were shooting at a steeper angle than quartering away?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

I must have, I try every angle I can at practice. The last thing I want to do is justwound the deer or make it suffer for a long time. Thanks guys, I appreciate your imput.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM

Nothing at all wrong with that. Just be aware of where you want your arrow and aim for the exit hole.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah you deffinetly want to go for both lungs on a quartering shot. The shot you described sonded like a much more severe angle than quartering. For the really steep angles you pretty much have to enter either at the liver or sometimes guts to get at least one lung and liver. Like mentioned before you have to aim for the exit and always try and get that arrow to go through the center of the chest cavity.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Always visualize where you want the arrow to come out on the other side. So put your arrow where it needs to be in order to hit that mark on thefar side.

Quick Reply: Quartering away shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.