Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is 8 to young????

Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is 8 to young????

ORIGINAL: Downhill18

Only a good dad would give it this much thought, so congrats to you. I do not think 8 is too young, as long as he is directly under your supervision. My dad started taking me out about that age, and that experience made me a much better hunter later.
But apparently not very attentive to details , how many guys named "Christine" do you know ?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both my sons killed their first deer when they were six. My feeling is that it depends on the kid. I probably pushed my oldest son a little to be "ready" at 6, but my younger son was really ready at 5. I made my younger son wait (like 6 was some magic number LOL). My older son has lost interest in hunting, but my younger son is eat up with it. Having the same opportunities to hunt, my boys are a pretty good example of some like it and some don't. I would love for my older son to hunt, but I also want it to be fun for HIM.

I say all that to say this. Let the kid tell you when he/she is ready. If he is showing interest and asking questions, take him to the woods.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 PM

noooo way is that too young

-Travis-
Old 09-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Spike

This is the perfect age to teach them. I was 7 when I first tagged along with my dad and I still remember everything about that first time...52 yrs. later.

Enjoy your boy and have fun.

NYCHunter
Old 09-08-2006, 06:37 AM

I say take em with you. a buddy of mine last year had his 4 year old girl with him while he was elk hunting. He told me the trick is to keep them warm, not to walk too far and to have juice and snacks handy. His girl was so small that her orange vest hung down past her knees.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: Downhill18

Only a good dad would give it this much thought, so congrats to you. I do not think 8 is too young, as long as he is directly under your supervision. My dad started taking me out about that age, andthat experiencemade me a much better hunter later.
But apparently not very attentive to details , how many guys named "Christine" do you know ?

Or call themselves a single mom?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Christine, I think you are both very lucky to have each other. Take him with you
Old 09-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

You are doing a great job Chris and he is lucky to have a parent that will teach him to appreciate hunting. I don't think 8 is too young but you have to be careful you don't over do it. Youngsters often don't have the patience to stay out all day and parents who keep them past their productive time often burn them out. What I would recommend is a few small trips for a few hours each and promote your sig as a way for him to realize all isn't lost if you don't connect. I would make it just another one of your nature learning trips with a gun this time. You will sacrifice your own hunt but will be instilling a heritage for Ian to cherish forever.