Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Im too young to know.... >

Im too young to know....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Im too young to know....

Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Im too young to know....

For you older clients, do you remember what it was like hunting in say...the 1970's?? I know the deer are more numerous now, but did you enjoy itanymore than now?? Was it a better time to bein the woods as far as how it was done?? Is there just too much thought on deer hunting now?? All the talk about QDA, nutrition, # of does vs Bucks, age this age that... what do you really think?? Would you go back and like to revisit those days??? Not for the deer but forthe time??? I didn't start carrying a weapon untilI was 13 yrs old, I used to go when I was 5,6,7 etc, but I don't recall too much of it.I started on my quest for deer in 1989.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Im too young to know....

In Ny you had to have 4-5 guys to get a party permit (doe tag) not many deer around my parts back then.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:18 PM

yeh, so charlie didn't it make killing a deer more of an event that it does now?? I mean wasn't it almost as if everyone in your group killed it??
Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

I first deer hunted in 1977 and it was something to even see a deer back then in Indiana. My taxidermist tells a funny story, he first seen a deer in the late 60's in Indiana while trapping as a young man, and it scared he so much he threw a hatchet at it.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:44 PM

damn.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeh, so charlie didn't it make killing a deer more of an event that it does now?? I mean wasn't it almost as if everyone in your group killed it??
It sure did. There wasn't much instant success.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started Bowhunting in "68" and it was not unusual to hunt several times and never see a Deer, close or far. There are many days now when I will see more deer in one evening than I would see in an entire season back then. As a matter of fact the place I got permission to Hunt (I still Hunt) The landowner asked me not to kill any does but I was welcome to shoot any Buck I saw. There weren't many Deer or Bowhunters around then. Most guys wouldn't have the patience to hunt an entire season for one chance. 1st Buck I killed was a 9 pointer and it was onDec. 23rd, 10 degrees with a windchill of about 10 below. season ended last day of Dec, so I was running out of time.

It is much more Fun now I have to admit, but I enjoyedthe early days for different reasons.I hunted hard about 16 days during Rut this year in IL., and out of my Treestand I saw over 100 deer and 60+ were Bucks. It's amazing anymore!!

Dan
Old 03-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

My neighbor always told me story's of his 6,8,9 points he shot 40 and 50 years ago. I asked him if he ever shot anything bigger then that and he goes what do you mean bigger? I said did you ever shoot a 10 or 12 point? He then tells me that back then they only counted one side of the rack. I about crapped my pants when he said that. Years back Minnesota was the #1 state for booners and P@Y. How things have changed!!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Yes they have, I have grown up seeing deer everywhere on the farm and in the woods, I wouldn't know what it was like to just see a track and be excited. I love anything Old Shool, even late 80"s and early 90"s is still old school for some of us. You guys remember the old Tree Lounge stands??? Wow, they were beast!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
N2D

I began deer hunting in the early 70's and would go for days before seeing any deer. There was hardly anyone in the woods during bow season. I did enjoy being out but bow hunting never was as good for me until I got smart enough to build my own climber and hunt from a tree. Darn near got killed in that thing when it slid down a tree at about 100 mph with me hanging on for dear life like something you would see on a cartoon. Anyway, as the deer population increased, along with all the new do-dads, I think bow hunting is a lot more fun now.

Quick Reply: Im too young to know....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.