Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How young is too young to shoot a gun? >

How young is too young to shoot a gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How young is too young to shoot a gun?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Spike

Default How young is too young to shoot a gun?

Not carry it or hunt, just to shoot it under close adult supervision and start getting familiar with it, learning it's not a toy?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How young is too young to shoot a gun?

bb gun with dad, 3yrs+ ?

think I shot my .410 for the first time when I was 8 or something, knocked me over! haha.

but a .22 or something, I think just about any age, with close adult supervision, but 3+ I'd say would be the minum for just plinking etc..

The thing I would caution, is showing him how much fun it is to shoot, then having it unlocked in the house...he'll quickly learn how to use it, and being curious etc...could find it load it, and shoot it,

kids are curious, and don't have the rational/logic we adults do, something I've noticed is oftne overlooked by adults, they assume because they can think etc... that everyone can think, even teenagers don't have the where with all that a 20yo does.

So if you are planning on having a youngster shoot, I'd make sure you have a gun cabinet/ safe.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

good advice salukipv....

every child if different. i know some very young kids that are more responsible and id let shoot a gun than many adults or teenagers etc.

i know i was shooting a BB gun with dad at probably 3 or so...wasnt long after i was shooting the 22. remember dad put a 38 special in a full sized 357mag for me to shoot...i was pretty danged young....but i was hooked

by the time i was 12 i was shooting a 308 and 12ga. actually liked the 12 more than my small, light single shot 20ga and got a 12ga when i was 13 i believe.

but no matter what, its always a great idea to keep guns and ammo away from children...i know thats probably "common sense" but "common sense" aint so common...so dont be offended...i just rather say it and hope its followed. saftey is always the most important issue at hand.

i was brought up differently than most kids...i was doing things at ages muccccch younger before most kids would EVER get the chance...i was always around firearms and always will be. different kids mature at different ages...teaching them young can help things...but if you find out they are "too much of a kid" IMO its safer to pull the plugs than to let them keep shooting and such...

it was a REAL long time before i was EVER allowed to shoot my pellet gun without dad standing over my shoulder. then it was even longer before i was allowed to shoot it when he wasnt outside with me...had a safe large area to shoot...but dad was careful with me. he also took me to the woods to shoot...or private ranges we were the only ones at...never went to a range with others until i was older. just easier to teach, instruct, and no distractions for the youth....
Old 09-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Site Bouncer

I think it all depends on the kid......My boy for instanceI felt was a little immature for his age growing up (he's 10 now) so I didn't start him on the BB gun till he was seven...yes seven. I felt he was mature enough to show good finger discipline and muzzle awareness. He took to shooting like a duck in water (takes after his old man!) and rarely misses what he's aiming at. He's shooting .22's and 410's now and I'll soon move him up to a 20ga and larger rifles as well.

Now contrast this to some of my buddies who have their kids shooting .22's at about age five and up and BB guns about as soon as they could hold the gun. It all depends on the kid and only you as the adult will know if they are ready mentally to start shooting.....I'm glad I waited with mine, he's a much safer and more aware shooter because of it. My daughter is seven now and she is starting with the BB gun. She is way further advanced mentally than my son was at her age and is fully aware of what she is doing (it's scary actually) but since I had him wait I thought I'd just do the same with her. This way his feelings wouldn't be hurt and she's none the wiser. Had I only had her I probably would have started her on the BB gun earlier.

Just use your best judgment and remember there will be plenty of time for them to shoot when they grow up but bad habits are hard to break. Teach them right early on and it will stay with them, if that means waiting a few extra years....so be it.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems my son has grown up way too fast but he got a very early start in shooting. It doesn't hurt that he is also quite big for his age. Each birthday starting when he was 5 brought a new gun of some type. At 5 it was the Gamo pellet gun, 6 a Marlin bolt .22, at 7 he was shooting prairie dogs with me and his 22-250 by 8 he had a 20 ga. shotgun and a .260 Remington. He shot his elk and his antelopelast year with a .300 Win mag....he just turned 15 this year.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started my son out with a chipmunk when he was 5 or 6 don't remember exactly and had to cut the stock 2" or so .
Bought him a 410 shotgun when he was 10 years old .

I bought him a 20 gauge semi when he was 12.

He has a Tikka 308 at his disposal whenever he wants to go deer hunting

It all depends on the maturity level of the kid and his/her physical size. I am around whenever he shoots something anyway until he gets a little older .

I started shooting a daisy red ryder in 7th grade and have never looked back. No one in my family owned guns or hunted so I was pretty much on my own.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 AM

I am glad you posted this. my 3 kids are going to be 3 in Jan.....I was thinking once they start school would be a good time to introduce them to a BB gun....There mom is not happy about this idea at all....Her nephew is now 10 and I can't teach him yet....
any thoughts on changing someones opinion
Old 09-18-2008, 08:44 AM

I have a handicap son who started shooting when he was 8 he is now 12 and shoots mostly a 22rf tube feed as it works best for him. He is a birth quad amputee. His ortho surgeon was the one who finally got mom to let us try. He has shot my .375 winchester and my 45-70 but they really thump him.
I also have a 2 year old that is really interested in firearms and in two years we will go out and see how he acts.
We have a daughter who's son went out with granddad and dad last Christmas for the first time at 4 and had fun shooting a 22rf, 40s&W, 45auto and did quite well for being only 4 and the first time out.
I will be a really old guy when this one is ready to hunt and dad will take him if he wants and we will go target shooting if that is all he wants. He is the one who has to decide. I also have a 1 year old daughter that my want to shoot and hunt and dad will take her out too. Don't matter to me if it is a boy or girl that I go out with it is just plain fun to shoot together and spend time with the kids and them with dad. Mom goes once in a while and that is fine too.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM

3 years for a smart kid. That's just bb guns. The way the kid handles the bb gun will determine when to start him on a .22.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Spike

Both My Son and Daughter started shooting 22's at the range and BB's at the house at 5yo.My son loves watching the heavy steel targets fall after he hits them from 25, 50, and 100 yards. I know many like to start with a scope but I started with open sights and they had no problems at all understanding them. My son is now 8 he is hunting turkey with a .410. I don't let him shoot animals that he does not understand the end use of. I do not want to intruduce him to killing animals like varmits untill he understands the differance between killing a animal to benfit the envirerment and harvisting animal to provide us with food.

Quick Reply: How young is too young to shoot a gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.