Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is 8 to young????

Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Default Is 8 to young????

Folks, My son will be 8 in December and is very mature for his age. He has his own recurve that he is learning to shoot, and a .22 that he has become very proficient with. I think he is way to young to be out in the deer woods with a weapon of any sort. And would never hunt deer w/ a 22. But after being in the wood hiking, tracking and helping me scout deer since he was 4....My question is 8 to young to take him with me when I hunt....just need some opinions please. I know he has the patience and knows to be quiet but I just think that he is still a bit to young. Thanks for any input. Oh, keep in mind that I am a single mom and he does not have a man around to teach him. So its just me and I will be a darn good teacher when it comes to hunting.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is 8 to young????

I was proably around 6 when my dad started takin me to the deer woods with him and everyday im thankful that he did. I dont think 8 is to young the only thing is he will proably do alot of things wrong and make alot of noise but thats just something that you get to teach him not to do. I also think you two will have a TON of fun togetherJMO.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Christine, teach him all you can about nature. Buy him books on nature and read to him when you can. Show him pictures of nature and explain to him what you see in the pic's. Does he know all the animals and their names?

When you're are satisfied he knows the above, start teaching him about Deer, Hogs and their habits and habitats.

Let him become a sharp shooter with a .22 rifle or start him in archery early, making sure he learns to be safe at all times.

At 8 is when I was allowed to go with my great uncle quail, dove and duck hunting. At 10 my dad bought me a Win. Mod 12 20ga, but had to be kept at my uncles house and could only use it when my uncle would take me. At 13 my dad bought me a J.C Higgins .30-06 for deer and hogs.

My dad was a perfectionist about everything and didn't have the patients toteach me. So if he decided I was ready, I was ready and graduated to Hunter at the age of 13.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting is a lifetime learning experience. I feel a good thing for the young first time hunter is to take them along with you on a few hunts. Set a good example and keep their attention by teaching them some of the tricks you have learned over the years. Types of trees, food sources, trails and signs and above all, safety in the field. After a few short hunts I like to take a youngster on a squirrel or turkey hunt. As experience is gained in the field, take them out to the range with a firearm that fits them in a caliber that will get the job done, but no so large that they are afraid of the recoil. When they show you that they can handle a firearm safely and become proficient, it's time to take them on a fall hunt with you at their side. The experience will be unforgettable for you and your child.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Christine, teach him all you can about nature. Buy him books on nature and read to him when you can. Show him pictures of nature and explain to him what you see in the pic's. Does he know all the animals and their names?

When you're are satisfied he knows the above, start teaching him about Deer, Hogs and their habits and habitats.

Let him become a sharp shooter with a .22 rifle or start him in archery early, making sure he learns to be safe at all times.

I started him in the woods almost as soon as he could walk infact, he usually finds a molly moocher before I do now! LOL Eagle eye that he is sometimes he can spot a deer, or tell me how many points a buck has before I even see it!! He knows all local animal tracks, all the trees names and leaves, plants you can eat, plants you do not want to eat....and even some medicinal plants. Such as Jewelweed for poisen ivy(he does not catch it but knows there is something out there to help if he ever does, Ginsang, Bloodroot and Goldenseal to name a few. He is being raised responsibly around guns, goes with me to the range when I sight in my deer rifle and has his own shooting muffs. His recurve, arrows, RedRyder, and his .22 and ammo are locked up with mine. They are only used under my strict supervision!! Squirrrel hunting was the first thing I did.....bored me to tears. Deer hunting has always been my thing.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Christine B

I started him in the woods almost as soon as he could walk infact, he usually finds a molly moocher before I do now! LOL Eagle eye that he is sometimes he can spot a deer, or tell me how many points a buck has before I even see it!! He knows all local animal tracks, all the trees names and leaves, plants you can eat, plants you do not want to eat....and even some medicinal plants. Such as Jewelweed for poisen ivy(he does not catch it but knows there is something out there to help if he ever does, Ginsang, Bloodroot and Goldenseal to name a few. He is being raised responsibly around guns, goes with me to the range when I sight in my deer rifle and has his own shooting muffs. His recurve, arrows, RedRyder, and his .22 and ammo are locked up with mine. They are only used under my strict supervision!! Squirrrel hunting was the first thing I did.....bored me to tears. Deer hunting has always been my thing.
Awesome! You're doing a great job! Proud of you!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I took my 9 and 6 year old grandsons squirrel hunting Saturday , and both have sat in my deer hunting blind with me before , the younger one was 5 at the time. Take him with you and have fun .
Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I think that he is very lucky to have you to teach him these things.
When It comes to safety, A lot of people are in the frame of mind, that as long as you teach a young person how to handle a gun safely then that is all there is to it.But, that is only part of it.
We don't stop to think, the biggest issue in safty is, we half to watch the other guy.
I was walking up a dirt road just yesterday, and all a sudden people started firing shots over my head. I had to yell to let them know I was there. Seems they were all drunk and had set some beer cans in the road and was target practiceing.
You never know what idiot, may be drawing a bead on you.
People blast away at everything they hear, especially during deer season!!
My main concern in deer woods is not me shooting someone else , but someone shooting me!
In my opinion, 8 years old is too young, not because he hasn't been taught to be safe. But, at 8 years old he really don't have the experiance to keep an eye out for the real danger, "the other guy".
Old 09-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

I started hunting with my dad when I was6. I loved it ever since then.I killed my first deer when I was 8 with a 4.10 slug. I think hewillbe fine. Have fun and good luck.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

No, I don't think it's too young. There's no way my 4 year old will let me go through the season without at least coming with me a few times.

Good luck,

Quick Reply: Is 8 to young????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.