Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Stand location suggestions please! >

Stand location suggestions please!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand location suggestions please!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default Stand location suggestions please!

OK... So here is our farm. We're surrounded by hills and in eastern MO, just north of the MO River. Our land has a bunch of open space, and the deer are in the fields in the morning and evenings, but spend most of there time in the surrounding hills and traveling the small creeks and thickets running through our property. Our current rifle stand locations arethe blue circles.There are only2 of us that bowhunt and this will only be my 2nd year, so bow stand locations areyet to be discovered. TheplacesI have spent themost time arethe yellow dots. Purple squares are surrounding houses. The creek in the NE corner looks very inviting, but has a very steep hill leading down to it. Our fields are all milo this year and have been soybeans the last 2 years.

The dots in red are 2 locations I am planning to put stands (climber or otherwise). Do you all have any suggestions how I can keep deer on our property and other stand location ideas? Any other input is greatly appreciated. The last few years haven't been the greatest b/c of problems with poaching (found 6 or so in a pile missing only the back straps and racks) and a neighboring tree farm killing off 10 deer.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stand suggestions and other ideas please!

Nothing beats actual time on the ground trying to figure out the bedding areas, trails, etc. Which fields are planted and with what crops? Two spots that may be a potential bow stand: go NE from the second e in Tugue Creek to the interesection of the stream, woods area and field tree line. The other is on the west line about half way down where the stream comes into the property from the potential bedding area off the property. Not a lot of big bedding areas to pick from.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Spike

I've spent quite a bit of time walking the property, so I know the main travel trails pretty well. They are pretty worn in, especially in some spots. I have yet to find more than a couple bedding areas, and I'm not even positive they were bedding areas. Fields are all Milo this year, which could be a plus. (they are the dark brown patches).

I'll check those 2 locations this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:53 PM

What are you using to pull up your aerial photos?? Them looks good.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Spike

maps.google.com