Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stand location

Old 06-21-2004, 09:51 AM

Default stand location

I found a place that is super thick and there is a little opening and all around that opening is filled with 8in trees that are shreded and there are trails crossing eachother all over so i hung my stand and seen not one buck there all last season so i don't know what to do. any suggestions??
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stand location

remember, most rub lines are active at night. i have tried rub line hunting in the past with no success. you seem to be experiencing the same effects i do.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 AM

I'd look for secondary trails that circumvent this hot zone. Except in rut bucks will rarely use doe trails. If the path is noticeable it is more than likely a doe trail. Buck trails will look less like a trail and will tend to stay inside the cover.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is just what im thinking----How are you getting into your stand location,example--walking through their bedding area? you said it was real thick around the opening,maybe you are over hunting the same stand location and the bucks have you patterned.
If a buck feels secure in his domain and there is an opening in the middle of the bush surrounded by thick stuff my guess would be that he is hittiting it at night.Could be to much scent or movement on your part also.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Except in rut bucks will rarely use doe trails.
Really? Please explain.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have to agree with adams. i think that bucks usually will have their own trails. but once the rut comes everything but sex goes to the back of their mind and that is when you will usually stick a big buck. they will follow the does which are mostly on the heavily used trails which are doe trails.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think that bucks usually will have their own trails. but once the rut comes everything but sex goes to the back of their mind and that is when you will usually stick a big buck. they will follow the does which are mostly on the heavily used trails which are doe trails.
My thoughts also. While they are in rut, they are looking for does and will go off of their normally used secondary trails to find them.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:36 PM

Really? Please explain.
Bucks rarely use doe trails except durring the rut. What type of clarification are you looking for. First you question and then

My thoughts also. While they are in rut, they are looking for does and will go off of their normally used secondary trails to find them
you reiterate exactly what I said. Did you actually read my post?[:-]
Old 06-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bucks rarely use doe trails except durring the rut.
Actually, I agree with you. I must have misunderstood your original post.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:44 PM

I must have misunderstood your original post
It was worded a little funny. Sometimes my brain seems to work backwards[:'(]

Quick Reply: stand location

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.