Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help with stand location >

Need help with stand location

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help with stand location

Old 09-07-2003, 11:29 PM

Default Need help with stand location

Tonight I spooked a magnificent buck and he galloped without panic like a proud horse onto an open cut wheat field
Also glassed bunch of deer ie big and smaller does at the same spot.
Please check the land lay out below.
Any advice where to set up my stand for evening or morning bowhunt?
As you can tell it is my first season

Old 09-07-2003, 11:50 PM

Default RE: Need help in stand location

I know this will be kinda vague , but w/o intimate knowledge of the area , can only suggest starting point(s). Anyway , here it goes. Deer are edge creatures and habitual for the most part. As a general rule in the am I' d approach any stand from the opposite road according to the map , the pm stands may be approach able from fields well in advance of any expected movement by the deer. You will need to scout, see if you can get an aerial photo of the area. Locate the thickest areas and scout frrom fields towards them, I personally would avoid entering likely bed areas close to season.Scout them in winter after the seasons end for the next year. Locate good trails, I' d start along the edge of the corn, you' ll probably find heavier trails in that corner. If you can find a lone appletree or good oak stand or the like along one of these trails it would be aplus. Again this is only a starter and may need tuned as season progresses. Try to get between the beds and food( I like to set up in the last sign area before the beds) This helps to see them when you have good light.If they' re in early fall feeding patterns sometimes field edge stands are the ticket in the pm.If you' ve bounced a big one he may stay gone for a while if you jumped his bed, that' s his secure zone and it has changed. He will probably return if the area gets little to no pressure.It may be a matter of time. well that' s my two cents for what it' s worth, Hope it Helps.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:12 AM

Default RE: Need help in stand location

Thanks Twig for sound advice
How long will buck stay out of an area where he was spooked (assuming no other disturbance) couple of days?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-08-2003, 07:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-08-2003, 07:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-08-2003, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Need help with stand location

You left out the most important part.

Where is north and what is the normal wind direction when you hunt?
Old 09-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need help with stand location

Rack you and I think to much alike, the first thing I thought of was the prevailing winds, the second thing I thought of was gulleys in the woods and elevations throughout the area.

Bow-Nut there are many things to give consideration to, in my book the #1 thing is the prevailing wind which can vary from morning to afternoon.

#2 is the lay of the land and where the thick stuff is.

You have been given some good advice, but to me #1 & #2 are very important, with out knowing them I really have no idea where to put your stands.

As far as the buck coming back to the area, since he wasn' t shot at he probably was back that night. Unless really pushed a deer does not run that far when spooked.