Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30 pt Poached IA deer?

Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Default RE: 30 pt Poached IA deer?

if a deer like that walked through my hunting area i would have to let him walk..........i'd be too busy changing my pants..
Old 05-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

THS78, WE WILL JUST HAVE TO DISAGREE ON THIS ONE.I THINK HE SHOULD GO TO JAIL. HE BROKE THE LAW. AND AS FAR AS ME BEING A PURITAN, NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH. I'VE MADE PLENTY OF MISTAKES IN MY LIFE AND I'VE PAID THE PRICE FOR THEM. I GUESS YOU'RE OK WITH ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION TOO. AFTER ALL THEY JUST WANT A BETTER LIFE FOR THIER FAMILIES. OR MAYBE THE DRUNK THAT CRASHES INTO A TREE AND WALKS AWAY, NO HARM NO FOUL RIGHT?
WHEN I SAID A HUGE FINE IT DOESN'T HAVE TO TAKE YEARS TO PAY. FIND OUT WHAT HE CAN AFFORD AND THEN DOUBLE THAT. WRITE A LETTER TO THE JUDGE? OH YEAH, THAT WOULD REALLY SEND THE RIGHT MESSAGE TO OTHER POTENTIAL POACHERS. IF THERE ARE NO MEANINGFUL CONSEQUENCES TO HIS ACTIONS WHAT WILL STOP HIM OR OTHERS FROM DOING THE SAME THING? WE HAVE LAWS FOR A REASON. I DON'T THINK JUSTICE WOULD BE SERVED BY LETTING A PERSON WALK WITH A SLAP ON THE WRIST IF HE IS INDEED GUILTY OF POACHING. I AGREE THAT THE JAIL TIME MAY BE SEVERE AND I WAS REACTING WITH ANGER. MAYBE ALOT OF COMMUNITY SERVICE AND A FINE. AND MAYBE 5 YRS LOSS OF HUNTING PRIVLEGE RATHER THAN LIFE BUT SURELY NOT A PASS.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:23 PM

Yep. It's a sucker alright.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

I never realized poachers had a age limit. Seriously how can you not throw the book at someone for shooting a 30pt trophy or any deer w/o proper tags. Better yet appears the guy had no tag to start with. I obviously don't know all the facts, but it doesn't look good for the guy.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

#1- ALWAYS follow good hunting ethics!!
#2- If you have no tag, you don't carry a weapon into the field to watch game.
#3- If you are scouting, you use visual aids, not a weapon.
#4- If you are target shooting, you shoot at targets, not live game.
#5- If you are poaching, you should pay the price of the state you are in. No matter your age or the circumstances. If you have a doe tag and a monster buck walks in and you shoot it,,,,YOU ARE WRONG!! (know your target)

There is simply no excuse for poaching. Only someone who deems themselves to be above the law would do this and think it is ok. You pay the price for your actions and hopefully learn from them.

If someone comes to our huntcamp with no tag, should we let them hunt anyway? NO
If someone comes to our huntcamp with the wrong weapon, should we let them hunt anyway? NO
If someone comes to our huntcamp and shoots an animal they don't have a tag for, should we just keep our mouths shut and let it ride? NO
Why? Because each of the things would be breaking the law. The laws are set so that we can manage the game we hunt. If one is allowed to break them, then why not the next and next. Many eyes in this wonderful country we live are upon us as Hunters to try and stop us from what we love to do. If we show them we will break whatever laws we want to achieve whatever game we want, we are showing them we are no better than the criminals we put in prisons for more serious crimes.

No matter how you put it or how you look at it, if you understand good hunting ethics and practices, Poaching is just wrong and illegal...PERIOD
Old 05-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow.. Awesome buck. Too bad it had to go down with the word "Poached".
Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

What good are laws if those who break them go unpunished?? He broke the law, so it seems, and if so, he should be punished accordingly!

the rack alone probably weighs what a whole deer, on the hoof,willin FL!!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deerdust

#1- ALWAYS follow good hunting ethics!!
#2- If you have no tag, you don't carry a weapon into the field to watch game.
#3- If you are scouting, you use visual aids, not a weapon.
#4- If you are target shooting, you shoot at targets, not live game.
#5- If you are poaching, you should pay the price of the state you are in. No matter your age or the circumstances. If you have a doe tag and a monster buck walks in and you shoot it,,,,YOU ARE WRONG!! (know your target)

There is simply no excuse for poaching. Only someone who deems themselves to be above the law would do this and think it is ok. You pay the price for your actions and hopefully learn from them.

If someone comes to our huntcamp with no tag, should we let them hunt anyway? NO
If someone comes to our huntcamp with the wrong weapon, should we let them hunt anyway? NO
If someone comes to our huntcamp and shoots an animal they don't have a tag for, should we just keep our mouths shut and let it ride? NO
Why? Because each of the things would be breaking the law. The laws are set so that we can manage the game we hunt. If one is allowed to break them, then why not the next and next. Many eyes in this wonderful country we live are upon us as Hunters to try and stop us from what we love to do. If we show them we will break whatever laws we want to achieve whatever game we want, we are showing them we are no better than the criminals we put in prisons for more serious crimes.

No matter how you put it or how you look at it, if you understand good hunting ethics and practices, Poaching is just wrong and illegal...PERIOD
WELL SAID!!!!