Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 anyone got any realy weird deer huntin stories or found anything poached or wounded with guns/bows. >

anyone got any realy weird deer huntin stories or found anything poached or wounded with guns/bows.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anyone got any realy weird deer huntin stories or found anything poached or wounded with guns/bows.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:21 PM

Default anyone got any realy weird deer huntin stories or found anything poached or wounded with guns/bows.

id like to read some interesting stories so throw em at me.

shootr,
Old 06-18-2004, 12:12 AM

Default RE: anyone got any realy weird deer huntin stories or found anything poached or wounded with guns/bows.

I've got 2 "weird" poaching stories for you.

#1: A man by the name of George Parr was one of the wealthiest and most crooked men in Texas. He was the reason why Lyndon B. Johnson was elected president (Parr had voter boxes in Duval co. filled with votes from dead people). This little bit of "help" is what made Johnson win. Well any way, enough about that. Even though Parr was one of the richest men, and owned his own large ranch in s. Texas, he still poached on other ranches but he did it in a very unusual way. Parr had his own helicopter and his own pilot. The 2 of them would get in and fly over the large ranches in this area. Now some of these ranches are well over 100,000 acres and the biggest is over 800,000 acres so a person could get away with alot of things with out anybody finding out. Parr would have his pilot fly around until they found a "muy grande" trophy buck running from the chopper. If the buck was up to "Parr" then it was shot and the pilot would land and load up the buck. They would then continue flying looking for another big buck, or they would return to Parrs ranch.

#2: This is my favorite.

A college in south Texas does alot of deer research in this area. And one of the ways that they conduct research is by radio collaring bucks and keeping track of there movements by using radio telemetry(sp?). Most of the time they drive around in trucks until they locate the bucks(s) but sometimes they will get in a helicopter and fly until they locate the buck. Just by chance the students were going to have to locate bucks on 2 different ranches in 2 different counties. So after they were done with the first ranch they moved over to the second ranch, but in an effort to save time, they flu the helicopter to the second ranch unstead of loading it up on a trailer and driving it. As the pilot and the passenger flu over the south Texas town of Freer, the passenger just happened to turn on the Radio Telemetry transmitter, and for some wierd reason it picked up the signal from one of the radio collared bucks. Now the pilot and passenger both new that they were still several miles from the ranch were this deer lived, and they knew that this deer did not make a trip into town by himself. The 2 of them flu around for awhile, but as they moved away the signal would die, and as they would come back the signal would be picked up again. The 2 of them were some what confussed, but they knew that there equipment worked. So to make a long story alittle shorter, they found one of the local game wardens who just happened to be in town messing around (town is REAL small). They gave the warden the transmitter and told him what happened and where the signal was the strongest. The warden took the transmitter (which was still beeping) and followed in the direction of the signal that was being sent from the radio collar (which is suppose to be around a bucks neck). The signal was coming from one of the houses in the small neighborhood. The warden walked up to one of the houses and found that the garage door was half way up. As the warden approached, a man inside the garage opened the door all the way up. And there hanging up, was the carcass of a deer that the man was in the middle of quartering up. As the warden looked around the garage he found a large buck that had been caped, and laying on a near by table was a radio collar, which was still beeping [&:]. Well anyway, the guy apparently went out and spotlighted the big buck the night before off of the same ranch that the helicopter pilot and student were going to. But to make things even worse, and funnier, he just happend to shoot one of the bucks that the helicopter was planning on locating that same day.

Believe it or not, these 2 stories are true. Happy hunting all, and dont do anything stupid
Old 06-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anyone got any realy weird deer huntin stories or found anything poached or wounded with guns/bows.

i found some deer that were killed with guns and bows that people jsut didnt follow up on..

This past season a guy we know hit a big boy , and never found it , so when the last day of archery came , we did a few pushes , and he came off this heavily thick hill , limping the whole way , noone got an arrow into him til later that day . My buddy shot him in the @$$ later taht evening , so now he is really trashed , i feel bad if he made it , this year if hes around , then he will have one narly rack im sure . That is if he made it tho
Old 06-18-2004, 10:19 AM

Default RE: anyone got any realy weird deer huntin stories or found anything poached or wounded with guns/bo

I busted an idiot last december. We have a herd of deer that spend the winter behind the local grocery store. In that herd there is a dandy 5x5 26" wide mulie. Gorgeous deer. We were on a sunday walk through town when we see the herd across the highway in a guy's backyard. All of a sudden an arrow flies from the guy's porch and lands a perfect bowkill on this buck. The extended archery buck season had ended a week earlier, so I call up the poaching hotline and get his butt kicked. He was convicted, all his guns/bows and ammo were taken away and he had a 15K fine! It was awesome! The best part is, if you catch a poacher with a "trophy" class animal, and they are convicted, you can either receive a deer tag the next year for the area that the animal was poached or receive 5K for a trophy elk, deer or antelope. I took the cash, as I don't hunt that area!