Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS >

HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Old 09-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

ORIGINAL: Ryan Campbell

Most smokers dont realize how much they smell. I can smell a smoker from a pretty good distance so I know a deer can and I doubt the wind will make much difference unless it's 20+ mph. If you smoke in your vehicle or home the smoke gets into your clothes, hair, skin etc and stays there for a long time. Add humidity (moisture holds scent close to the ground) to this and deer will have you made so I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on scent-lock clothing, camo, cover scent and all the other gear that you must have and light a cig before hunting.

OH man, them deer love the auroma of my 8-10 dollar important cigar's!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:22 PM

I don't doubt you would be better off not smoking but have known quite a few folks that lived to a good old age despite smoking. I also have had good luck with smoking cherry cigars. It may have been a fluke but after the second buck I'm gonna try it again.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

deer smell all types of odors in the woods,...from camp fires, food sources, wood stoves,tobacco ,weed, fire, diesel from farm equip, car exhaust, chain saws, construction materials, lunch pails, us hunters farting , pissin and shi##netc. Just like all the other creatures in the woods....I think the human smell (PERSPIRATION) is what really spooks them more than anything. Maybe to deer, perspiration is like a predator scent, like coyote. .Just think... deer smell humans then boom... gunshot/ bowshot.After a few seasons they catch on ..thats why there are trophy bucks yet to be harvested.. Movement and noise are more critical in sending a danger signals to deer. This is especially true during the hunting season...deer feel, smell , see pressure and there out of there...TRUE??
Old 09-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Dominant Buck

You got it hezze!!! Human BO #1!
Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was smoking a smoke when i shot my 8 pointer in 2002 came right to me, i smoke once in a while in my stand but try not to make a habbit out of it especially during the early season, the ruts different, the deer are stupid and will come to an open can of beer.