Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS >

HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Old 09-10-2005, 02:38 PM

Default HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Does anyone smoke tobaco(cigarettes or pipe or cigar)when they are in the fieldor stand, and how has it affected your hunt....like i said, just curious.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

As a lifetime smoker, that has quit many times, (this time hopefully for good!) I'd say it is BEST not to smoke while hunting! But as non-smokers will tell you, If you smoked before hunting you will still smell like smoke for hours!
That said, I've done it both ways, I have had to put down a cigarette to shoot more than once! I've also seen them spook!
Sometimes they are curious about the smell of tobacco!
As your doctor, and others will tell you, it's better not to smoke, for a great number of reasons!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i try not to do it while hunting, but i do....it's spooked some critters, it's also had no effect on em too...i do spray down after each cigarette with no scent and i have the wipes so i can get my hands and face well.....i put the butts in a bottle and i keep the used wipes in a ziplock....play the wind , it has everything to do with it....
Old 09-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My real dad did when we would hunt. I wanted to back hand him.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

I used to smoke, and for years I never smoked in the woods, and then the last 4-5 years before I quit, I would smoke on stand. I really think that the smoke doesn't spook the deer, but I'm POSITIVE all the motion of moving your are/hand to your mouth the take a drag does bother the deer.

I haven't smoked for 2 years now, and I can't tell a difference in the deer, but I do know that my lung capacity seems WAY BETTER when hiking in/out of the woods each day.

Old 09-10-2005, 04:47 PM

I don't smoke, but one of my buddies does. He said the worst part about smoking on stand is that every time he lights up deer show up and he can't figure out what to do with it. He has perfected shooting with a cig hanging out of his mouth and said he has killed more than a few deer that way.

I'm thinking about taking up smoking!

Just kidding.

He sits pretty high up though, and said he doesn't smoke in the early morning or evening when it is real visable. And he puts his butts in a sealed soda bottle, not throw them on the ground. My biggest pet peeve about smokers is they think the world is thier ashtray. Not all, but enough that it ticks me off. I really don't like having them bounce off the windshield of my car when driving.

Paul
Old 09-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't smoke, but one of my buddies does. He said the worst part about smoking on stand is that every time he lights up deer show up and he can't figure out what to do with it. He has perfected shooting with a cig hanging out of his mouth and said he has killed more than a few deer that way.

I'm thinking about taking up smoking!

Just kidding.

He sits pretty high up though, and said he doesn't smoke in the early morning or evening when it is real visable. And he puts his butts in a sealed soda bottle, not throw them on the ground. My biggest pet peeve about smokers is they think the world is thier ashtray. Not all, but enough that it ticks me off. I really don't like having them bounce off the windshield of my car when driving.

Paul

Yep, that's what I always did too..... I think the stinky saliva coated butts DO scare deer.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I concur along with the others..I don't think it has a significant affect on game but it is for thebest if you don't.
I think it depends on the individual animal..
Just play the wind right (be aware of prevailing winds) and make sure its butt out.
I do take cigars alongwith me, and mypartners and I Light up immediatly after a game animalis harvested in Celebration.of a successful stalk and hunt...
Old 09-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Dominant Buck

If you are up 20ft in your stand, no problem!

Old 09-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

A guy I use to know smoked while he hunted, and he killed a few deer, till the lung cancer killed him...........

Quick Reply: HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.