Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS >

HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Old 09-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

deleted (and then reposted below cause I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste in other post), moved my comments to "DEER DRIVES ISN'T HUNTING POST"
Old 09-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Dominant Buck

10-4,Matt!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have to be careful what you associate with hunting around here lately. Everyone seems to have their shorts in an uproar........

Shooting deer in drives isn't really hunting. Blah.

Shooting deer from a treestand isn't really hunting because you are higher than they are. If they had necks like giraffe's it would be more fair. Blah.

Shooting deer from a hole in the ground isn't really fair because you're lower than the deer. It would be different if deer slithered like a snake, more fair. Blah.

Shooting deer over food plots isn't hunting. (deer can't stay and eat in their house or order carry out). Blah.

Shooting deer coming to/from plots isn't hunting. Blah.

Shooting deer over feeders isn't hunting. Blah.

Shooting deer heading to/from feeders isn't hunting. Blah.

Using too accurate a weapon isn't hunting. (deer are unfairly, unarmed). Blah.

Using binoculars isn't hunting (deer don't have same advantage). Blah.

Smoking while shooting deer isn't hunting, it's unfair to the deer, they can't buy cigarettes or even roll their own - darn hooves. Blah.

What questionable "hunting" practice will be questioned next? Should you shoot a blind deer? I mean it can't even see you or where to run. Would you shoot a blind deer?

LOL!

I mean come on! Everyone does their own thing, their own way. So long as it's legal where they're doing it - no harm. And if it is legal where you hunt, and you don't judge it to be ethical by your own personal standards, no one can force you to do it - "JUST SAY NO!"

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

deleted, moved my comments to "DEER DRIVES ISN'T HUNTING POST"
Old 09-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

I know a few guys that were doing some post season scouting when they came on this ladder stand. cigarette buds all over the place, and it was on hunt club land. so, what did they do? left him a note about NOT smoking and littering, and then disassembled his stand and put the pieces in a circle around the stand. In trees, on the ground, you name it. nothing the guy couldn't find, but I bet he thinks twice about leaving a stand up and or smoking in it while hunting.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:51 AM

The old timers on my lease, includeing my dad, smoke EVERYTIME they get on the stand. My dad hunt a tripod and STILL tags out every season. This is why i think all the cover scent crap is a freak JOKE tryin to get money off us hunters

Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Most smokers dont realize how much they smell. I can smell a smoker from a pretty good distance so I know a deer can and I doubt the wind will make much difference unless it's 20+ mph. If you smoke in your vehicle or home the smoke gets into your clothes, hair, skin etc and stays there for a long time. Add humidity (moisture holds scent close to the ground) to this and deer will have you made so I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars on scent-lock clothing, camo, cover scent and all the other gear that you must have and light a cig before hunting.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smoke is a natural scent and deer are actually quite used to it in some areas. I smoke all the time in the stand and have deer (including bucks) walk directly under my stand routinely. I swear it can act as a cover scent sometimes. Now if you are hunting big woods deer that don't have close contact with humans except during hunting season, it often does in fact spook them. In the 'burbs I say "smoke up Johnny!"
Old 09-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

my question is why do u smoke ? period ....don't u go into the bush to get fresh air ?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:03 PM

I don't smoke anymore, but I did for many yrs. and I never had one deer or any other animal spook from the smell of smoke.
Like someone said earlier..smoke is a natural smell and occurrence in the woods. Especially in the south where they burn woods all the time.
The Indians used smoke as cover scent ..they would stand around the fire and smoke themselves up before going to hunt.
I would be willing to bet smoke would work better than any of the cover scents on the market...it's hard to smell anything when you got a snout full of smoke.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't/haven't but I have hunted with guys that do and I can honestly say that I don't think it has negatively impacted their hunt. Surprising to say the least!

Quick Reply: HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.