Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS >

HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Old 09-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Default RE: HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

I have the occasional dip (chew) of skoal™ berry when iam hunting, and spit in to a sealed coke bottle.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

play the wind , it has everything to do with it
Exactly - nothing else matters.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:32 PM

I smoke on the stand.I also spend the whole day on one too.I have to use my head when smoking.I have stands that I WILL NOT smoke on and then I have some that it is ok to.You have to play the wind (most important factor for any hunter)I can recall one time when it was almost too dark I figured I hadnt seen anything in a couple hours got busted when they came from the wrong direction so I lit up.Just to have a doe walk right in.Didnt know what to do with my smoke so I slid it to the side of my mouth and made my shot.Laughed afterwards because I probably looked like a idiot shooting my bow with a smoke hangin out of my mouth.Finished my smoke and got down and gutted her.She fell 4 yards from where I shot her.I have dropped a cig from my stand after putting it out(slippped out of my fingures while opening the lid) and have watched deer go up and smell the but.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

never had a problem shooting a deer while smoking. like others have said before... play the wind
Old 09-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I smoke and depending on the wind,thermal reversals etc. You can get away with it. The BIG problem is hand mnovement when smoking, deer will catch it.
I experemted one fall many years ago in a hot spot near home on the edge of a clover field(tons of deer) with many different things that were said to be taboo in deer hunting. Once I smoked a cigar and blew smoke toward deer 10 yds away and they didin't pay attention. Once they saw my hand move from my mouth and back they took off. This was all out of a ground blind, no one used tree stands much then. I also made a mack scrape in fron of the blind and urinated in it and it didn't scare deer in fact many came to investigate ! I also saw a deer walking around with a turkey feather in it's mouth, when drooped another deer would pick it up and many times I saw deer walking toward me with the wind at their back blowing so hard the hair stood up. I always thought they traveled with the wind in their face.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The last thing I want to do on ANY of my stands is light up.I think it comes down to rather a smoke means more to ya than a trophy???
Old 09-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

it's all in the wind...but it is better to quit...wish i could...maybe it'll happen this year.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM

so just curious again, whats the closest that a deer has come to you while you've had a LIT cigarette/pipe/cigar??
Old 09-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

About 10 feet, any closer and they nail me every time when I move my hands, Like a lot of guys said its all in the wind but good concealment really helps to cover your movements
Old 09-12-2005, 02:08 PM

my father always smoked a cigar and if it was cold he built a fire. he never had trouble getting his deer. can't say he alwaysgot a buck every year but he sure did hurt the doe population.

Quick Reply: HUNTING AND SMOKING.....JUST CURIOUS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.