Alaska Thread >

Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alaska Thread

Do you Juneau folks ever get the urge to move to Alaska?
Old 02-26-2003, 03:16 PM

Phish - Glad to hear about Mike, hope he is back in form for the summer!! He is a good guy. Really sorry to hear that you had to relocate back to the wrong side of the bridge!!! You in the Park Shores???? Have the grouse started hooting yet? Probably a little early, but wishfull thinking!!

Juno Grl - Just curious, did you do the " salad dance" after killing the avacodo??? Your Dad is the inventor of said dance you know, it would just be respectfull of you to do that after a succesfull kill. Or is it considered a succesfull kill if you have to go get your wound stich up??? Yes, everyone, the rumor is that Juno Grl had 1 Stitch also!!![][]

ABM - Considered it, but there are to many people up your way that consider those big cities " Alaska" , we have the hidden little corner down here that is a " best kept secret" and we like it that way!!!

Lil - Don' t freeze them raw!!! They will stick to the shell every time!! You need to cook them first, then freeze them!!! However, I strongly recommend just eating them fresh and not freezing them at all, they loose a lot of the flavor when frozen. ABM and Nim can attest to fresh crab taste!!

Old 02-26-2003, 03:58 PM

ABM--Folks from Juneau do sometimes move to other places in Alaska...of course, they weren' t true Juneauites to begin with. Some of us were even smart enough to get back here asap and kiss the ground (or puddle, as the case may be) after going to college in Fairbanks. Of course, I have heard stories about people so desperate to leave that frozen wasteland that they go to extremes. I mean, like, oh, I don' t know....Vegas, for example.

Phish--I think we' re neighbors....

SEAK--[][][] From the first time I ever heard your One Stitch story months ago, I knew that there was no way you' d let my one stitch stay a secret. I just didn' t know you' d tell on me so soon! But, to answer your question, I didn' t do the salad dance. I did the so-that' s-what-it-looks-like-when-you-hit-an-artery dance. While I was in the hospital getting stitched up, my mom went to my place to pick up some stuff for me, and while she was there, she field dressed the avocado, processed it, and put it in the fridge for me. I did eat my kill the next day. Tasty, it was. In my own defense, though, I have to say that I was actually aiming at the avocado seed, missed, and stabbed my hand. Remind me, what were you aiming at when you shot yourself with the arrow?
Old 02-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Se Ak,

Thanks. A bud of mine in juneau sent them up to me.....wish I could hit the crab boats myself.

Is there any hope for these as I have a ton of them still or am I SOL on this batch?

Old 02-26-2003, 10:50 PM

You aren' t completely SOL, Lil, you just have to chew the meat off the inside of the shells is all! Its always a logistics challenge to get crab cooked before they are frozen. Most of the time they are a lot easier to buy (and sometimes even catch yourself) than to get cooked unless you are set up to do the job in volume. Freezing them fresh is a last resort.

Back in the 70s and 80s I used to sell crab off my boat and it was pretty humorous watching people who didn' t have a clue how to prepare one properly - insist on taking the animal off the dock. . .live (innards and all). Your garbage can takes on its own personality with elderly crab guts and pickup day still 4-5 days away!

Juno Grl - Neighbors? Could be.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:47 AM

seak - hey kathy says hi and shes alive again, thank god! sping bear is out for me this year also.. work schedual and my brothers wedding killed that .... tried to explain to him about hunting seasons. but, his woman has already stole his pants...

now after all these commets youve been making ill make sure not to miss next time you need a shovel thrown at you..[>:] later you hickvill stich valley boy (like oh my gosh, gag me with a shovel)

nim- made it to the range today to zero that scope... all i can say is wow! that rifel just blew me away. the trigger pull on it is so light i think it went off when i exhaled on the trigger.. i loved that... oh yeah, i think im gonna have to up grade all my scopes to a leupolds also... very impressive!
now off to the cabin to see if i can call some cyotes in with that calls m all...
Old 02-27-2003, 01:53 AM

lost arrow,

Where do you go to the range at? I shoot out by Point Mack area, near the old prison. Don' t know if you are familiar with that area at all. And all of my guns have Leupold' s. Just got a heck of a steal on a nice Leupold on ebay.

You do much hunting around your area? Shot a bull moose two years ago about ten miles north of Palmer.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:00 PM

bear hunter- no i have never been out to the old prison to go shoot, my brother inlaw told me about the place but never told me how to get there... so i still head to birchwood and pay my 10$... is there room for some 300yrd shots out there??? thats what id like to go and do some more of...

leupolds on e-bay, hmmmmm... that sounds like ill be spending even more time at that web site. what kind of shape was that scope in???

i really dont hunt in the valley except small game once in a great while and my new love for bowfishing pike...but i did take a cow moose with a drawing permit out by big lake around 4-5 yrs ago
Old 02-27-2003, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah juno grl, I see you like to walk tight lines as well. Remember though, I' ll still be coming back to this frozen wasteland every few weeks. Just consider it a couple of years of extended vacations in Vegas. I seriously doubt that I' ll start showing signs of becoming a hick however, like our dear friend one stitch. Oh, I guess we have to differentiate between our one stitch' s now. What is it about you south easterners with one stitch? Sounds like that avacodo got the best of you! Maybe next time you should just use the avacodo be good stick and save yourself the 3/4" of thread needed to seal such a gruesome wound! [>:]

Lost, each time I look at your name I think back to the duck incident, is that how you came up with that handle? Maybe you should leave your bowfishing gear on your bow when you go duck bowhunting again! [>:] Are you up on the slope? SEAK and I are heading over to see the old goat on Saturday.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:22 PM

Lost - I need to thank you again for sending that shovel my way, it would have been dificult to get to that rabbit without it!! (let alone " kill-the-rabbit" ). However, I don' t think you would have missed if I hadn' t ducked! Speaking of ducks, I am with ABM on that one, whenever I feel a little down, I just play that video and watch your arrow fly away!!! Hey, how is your little rice eater doing???

Lil - FYI, Freezer life on COOKED crab is 2 months max, probably less for frozen raw. You best use it to avoid loosing some of it. The longer it is frozen, the less flavor it will have.

ABM - Is the avacodo be good stick anything like the " wana forget about the pain in your other knee" stick you carry?[:@] I don' t want to be around either of you two with a Tommy be nice stick!!!

Juno grl - Did your brother in law get a goat when he went last fall? I recall him going, but not how they did. Story please..... Pics??? Or at lease tell us about the last week end of King Crab season...are you planning on getting out crabing??? You know that I am having to live my life vicariously through you and Phish-on Wish I was in Juneau!!!!

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.