Alaska Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Alaska Thread

Anybody still out there from Alaska ?

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 01-17-2007, 12:41 AM

Hi everyone, looks like it's getting a bit slow in here. I live north of Fairbanks, so consider myself a real Alaskan. Hope everyone had a good holiday season and looking forward to the Spring hunts.
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/akwmnres/index.htmlis my homepage, if you want to see what we do out here.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Hello. Hopefully this topic has not been discussed too much as I don't keep up on this thread. I have been trying to accumulate information for a Black Bear hunt on the Prince of Wales. I would like to do a DIY hunt, because I enjoy that type of hunting plus the cost will be a factor for me. If anyone has any suggestions on where I should focus my search it would be greatly appreciated. Some of the questions I'm trying to answer are the following; whats the best area to focus my hunt, sounds like rain is gauranteed so is there any cabins that you suggest I look into, boat rental, what the best time to hunt POW, and lastly what is the best tactic for hunting black bear on POW. I know that isa lot to answer, but this place really fascinates me and I would love to visit. Thanks so much for all the help. Please feel free to PM if you would like. Troy
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Black bear spot and stalk opens up in Montana April 15th. Going to do some bait hunting in Idaho a little later on too. Sure look forward to that time of year, ice fishing and coyote hunting are my only hold-overs.

At some point I want to take an Alaskan Grizzly, really eatin'at me to get it done.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/ this will list cabins areas around cabins are probably hunted more.

in spring watching shorelines and grassy flats is usually productive

boat rentals- check the chamber of comm. for the bigger towns or switchboard.com for those towns
Old 02-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Can I purchase or put in for a Griz tag in AK as a non-resident and hunt DIY, or do I have to use an outfitter?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

no, unless you have a close relative ( 1st degree kindred) that is Alsaka resident. then they have to be with you on the hunt. not a mile away or more in camp. Sooooo you would need to hire a guide. [:@]
i tried to get a proposal a few years ago to allow brown / griz bear hunting by nr w/o guide in an area that had high bear population and needed more bears killed. did not happen. [:'(]